Forums » Wish List » Greeting the new people.
xssparksx
Posted: Jan 6 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I just thought of this, whenever you see a new person sign up for the board, what if we PM them or email a greet/thanks for checking out our forums? Didnt we talk about this last week? I figure we could nominate someone to give the shout to the new person. SO they do not get spammed.

thoguht?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Good idea.

Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

How do you keep track? Is there a report that shows who's new to
the forum?

Twitter: @ChipReece
Nuriel

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Memberlist -> Sort Results By -> New Forum Members First
chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Cool thank you sir!

xssparksx

My Public Stash

I think we need to get started on some sort of mass newsletter to come out at the end of the month and email to all of the members who have signed up. The news letter cover everything that has been done article wise and events coming up and changes occuring. The inventory part of the site gets alot of people, but this would be good for the forums and blogs.

coffee talk?

Edited by xssparksx - 06 January 2012 at 1:58pm

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I have no clue what the inclusion of coffee talk is doing
there but I like the idea. Not sure how I feel about
monthly though. It seems too aggressive. Nor do I like the
idea of sending a newsletter to folks who haven't agreed to
it.

But maybe sending out an email informing members there is a
newsletter and asking if they want it. I like that better.

My Public Stash

Most sites do a monthly, that is the norm, I get at least 15 different newsletters through email every month (Marvel, DC, Blizzard, PS3, to name a few.)

MOst sites also give a check box to opt in or opt out of a newsletter.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

xssparksx wrote

MOst sites also give a check box to opt in or opt out of
a newsletter.

Exactly, this site didn't. So I don't like folks getting a
newsletter they didn't sign up for. I like the idea of
giving them an option though. And I prefer the seasonal
format. It's less work and it's less "spammy".

My Public Stash

Then we could start giving them an option now, send out the intial first letter to everyone. Give them the option in the letter somehow. And the people we hear back from get the letter monthly and the people we do not here back from dont get the letter ever again or til they read the email and opt in.

My Public Stash

or on the stashmycomics main page put a box where you can sign up for the newsletter.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I'm against monthly in a near categoric capacity.

Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Admin note: moved to wish list.

Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I do the quarterly newsletter through my job in constant contact.
People sign up and I enter their email to send out. Im unsure if it
costs money though...but an easy format. I'll see if I can post it on
here to see what people think of it. We could throw a few popular
articles in it from the blog, a welcome and list of new members, do a
"what's tweeting" section, a few pics, a recap of the past 3 mos, what's
coming section, etc, etc.

chipreece
Posted: Jan 9 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

December 2011

Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas

Job Seekers and Employers

Kansas Engineering Excellence Program (KEEP)

Workforce Alliance teams with WSU to increase the number of engineers in Kansas with $5 million grant.

Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas and the Wichita State University College of Engineering and National Institute for Aviation Research has received a $5 million grant to provide education, training and job placement assistance to long-term unemployed workers in critical engineering occupations.

The funding was received under the H-1B Technical Skills Training Grant Competition to support high-growth fields in which employers are currently using the H-1B nonimmigrant visa program to hire foreign workers.

In the Oct. 3 announcement, U.S. Department of Labor Secretary Hilda Solis said, "These grants are an important part of the administration's efforts to help ensure that our workers have the chance to succeed in new and emerging fields, and that growing businesses have access to the skilled American workforce they need."

In Kansas, aviation manufacturing is the primary engine that generates new wealth and job creation in the local, regional and state economies. The Workforce Alliance Kansas Engineering Excellence Project (KEEP) seeks to reduce the number of H-1B visas sought for engineers who work for local aviation manufacturing firms, research institutes and institutions of higher learning. read more

In The News: Manufacturing Firms

The following article was taken from the Wichita Business Journal website and written by Stephanie Bloyd on 12/2/2011. 

Results on this week's list of manufacturing firms are a mixed bag, reflecting a new normal where a small reduction in employees seems positive compared to the large losses incurred over the past several years.

While Spirit AeroSystems and Bombardier added more employees since 2010, job losses at Cessna, Hawker Beechcraft and Boeing caused a decrease in total jobs among the big aircraft manufacturers.

Many smaller firms added more employees last year, however, which is a good sign for Wichita's overall economy, says Keith Lawing, executive director of the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas..

Read the full article at the Wichita Business Journal to see the top five companies on the Manufacturing Firms list.

Workforce Alliance Exceeds United Way Campaign Goal!

It's no secret that Workforce Center staff work every day to help people who are struggling. It's no secret that staff care about the community.  And, it's no secret that staff will do what it takes to reach a goal. That is why, despite the economy, it's no surprise the 2011 United Way Campaign goal of $10,000 was exceeded with a final total of $10,704.  Giving for the 2011 staff campaign was increased by 11.8% from last year!

Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas also helped to ensure that United Way of the Plains 2012 donations will be invested for maximum community impact. Linda Sorrell, Director of Policy and Planning at Workforce Alliance, served on United Way's 2011 Allocation Review Panel. 

Each of the 189 Allocation Review Panel volunteers served during late August through mid-October on one of 10 panels that reviewed programs within the areas of education, income, and health. Collectively, the allocations volunteers reviewed 93 programs at 35 agencies. These volunteers reviewed program design, client outcomes, and detailed agency budget information. The volunteers recommended and the United Way Board of Directors approved funding for 87 local programs with funding to begin January 1, 2012.
Workforce Alliance Staff

Kansas Board of Regents Receives $1.6 Million Grant for Accelerating Opportunity: A Breaking Through Initiative 

Helping adults in Kansas earn the credentials and skills they need to get and succeed in family-sustaining jobs is a key to fueling the economy and boosting employment. Jobs for the Future (JFF) has announced that the Kansas Board of Regents, in partnership with the Kansas Department of Commerce, has been awarded a $1.6 million grant to support efforts to ensure more workers have the skills they need through innovative adult education that provides a valuable credential. The three-year grants are part of Accelerating Opportunity: A Breaking Through Initiative, supported by a strategic partnership of five of the nation's leading philanthropies.

Nationally, over 26 million adults lack a high school diploma. While just over 2.5 million of these individuals are enrolled in adult basic education programs, only 3% actually earn a postsecondary credential, with many leaving after only a semester or two. By 2018, 64 percent of all Kansas jobs will require workers with some form of postsecondary credentials. The trend of more jobs requiring postsecondary credentials, combined with the large number of adults without credentials, exacerbates the current difficulty employers report in finding qualified workers who can fill skilled positions.

"In Kansas more than 900,000 working-age adults lack a meaningful postsecondary credential that would enable them to find employment in high-demand occupations like healthcare and advanced manufacturing," said Andy Tompkins, President and CEO of the Kansas Board of Regents. "The AO-K initiative enables us to partner with our community and technical colleges and provide vital education and training that can change lives and respond to Kansas business needs by providing the highly-skilled workforce necessary to promote and sustain economic growth."

The Board of Regents will partner with nine community and technical colleges during the three-year implementation grant. The college partners in south central Kansas are: Butler Community College, Hutchinson Community College and Wichita Area Technical College. read more

Save the Date for the 2012 Career Pathways Institute 

Mark your calendars for the 2012 Career Pathways Institute that will be held April 17 and 18 at the Hyatt Regency Wichita.Kansas is aggressively implementing Career Pathways strategies to address the skills needs of employers and job seekers. The Institute will convene leaders from business and industry, education and training, and economic development to learn how Career Pathways strategies can help support economic growth and job expansion in Kansas.

The Institute will build on the Career Pathways Summit held in June 2011; panels and breakout discussions will feature national, state, and regional experts from Kansas' leading industries, advanced manufacturing and health care. 

NOTE: From the Director

In 2007 the Workforce Alliance led a partnership that received the Workforce Innovations in Regional Economic Development (WIRED) grant from the United States Department of Labor. The Kansas Composites WIRED initiative wrapped up in 2010, but its impacts continue to be felt and it is an example of the role local workforce boards were designed for in the Workforce Investment Act. Through the WIRED grant, the Workforce Alliance was able to convene a number of regional partners and bring resources into the area that supported innovation and transformation in employment and training for one of the leading industries in Kansas. Recently Workforce Alliance staff were notified by the United States General Accounting Office (GAO) that the Kansas Composite WIRED initiative was nominated as an example of best practices and would be included in an upcoming report being developed for the United States Senate Health Education Labor and Pension (HELP) committee. The report should be released next month.  I want to congratulate and thank all of the WIRED partners that helped make this recognition possible. 

The outcomes from WIRED are too numerous to summarize here, but this information can be made available by contacting the Workforce Alliance to learn more. I do, however, want to point out two high profile projects that received support from WIRED and are impacting the regional economy. The first is the Learjet 85; a new general aviation jet that significantly  increases the use of composite materials. Through WIRED, over $250,000 was invested in incumbent worker training to prepare for the Learjet 85. As many know, it was recently announced that Bombardier is expanding its workforce at the Wichita facility to support the manufacturing of the Learjet 85. This is great news for the regional economy.

The other WIRED partner that has been in the news is the Center for Biomedical and Orthopedic Research (CIBOR). During a recent visit with Dr. Paul Wooley, he reported that the outcomes of the resources received through WIRED have been "quite remarkable."  Dr. Wooley and an associate spent one week exploring mutual interests in composite industrial development with potential Chinese customers and collaborators. They intend to increase their knowledge of potential foreign opportunities to develop relationships with medical enterprises, and investigate commercialization strategies to forward medical biocomposite enterprises in the global market. As a result of the WIRED travel and relationships established, three Chinese surgeons, scientist and students visited Wichita and the CIBOR operations in 2010; this year, six additional professions visited Wichita (3 surgeons, 2 scientist, and 4 students total). 

There are other outcomes from WIRED but these two jumped out to me. Both of these projects are well positioned to support economic expansion and job growth in South Central Kansas. It's nice to know that the Workforce Alliance had a small role in these successes.  Thanks to all and I look forward to building from these successful collaborations. 

In This Issue
In The News
United Way Campaign
Accelerating Opportunity Grant
Career Pathways Institute
Note: From the Director
Labor Market Info

Upcoming Events

Workforce Alliance Executive Committee: Tuesday, January 17, 2012, 11:30 am at the Wichita Workforce Center.

Workforce Alliance
WIA Oversight
Committee: February
8, 2012, 11:30 am at
the Wichita Workforce
Center

Career Pathways Institute: April 17-18, 2012 at the Hyatt Regency Wichita. 

Workforce Alliance Board of Directors Meeting: Thursday, April 26, 2012, 10:30 am at the Wichita Workforce Center.

Labor Market
Information

October 2011
unemployment rates
for Kansas (6.2
percent) and Local
Area IV (7.2 percent)
are down from
September 2011. Six
of the 11 major
industries in Kansas
reported over-the-month job gains. Gains
were made in business
and professional
services, government,
education and health
services.

Local Unemployment
Rates by County

Butler - 7.0%
Cowley - 6.4%
Harper - 4.7%
Kingman - 4.8%
Sedgwick - 7.4%
Sumner - 6.3%

View the entire Labor
including
current layoff numbers
by visiting the
Workforce Center Website.

Workforce Alliance Mission & Vision

The mission of the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas is to develop and lead a flexible, integrated workforce system that identifies and responds to the current and future needs of our region and state. 

Our vision is for south central Kansas to have a diversified, inclusive, highly skilled workforce functioning within a flexible, accessible system of education and economic development to advance the quality of life and standard of living for all workers in our region and state.

Find us on Facebook

View our profile on LinkedIn

Follow us on Twitter

View our videos on YouTube

This is a publication of the Workforce Alliance of South Central Kansas.

Editor-in-Chief: Keith Lawing, Staff Editors: Kimberly Cronister amd Chip Reece

Workforce Alliance Logo

chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

There's what it looks like, except the right column would be connected...copy/paste seperated it.

What do you guys think?

JasonNewcomb
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I could designify a template which would match our upcoming
rebrand.

Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

JasonNewcomb wrote
I could designify a template which would
match our upcoming
rebrand.

Cool.

chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Researching other options...constant contact has some cost involved.
Looking for free...