Forums » Movies & Animation » Finally saw Batman
chipreece
Posted: Aug 5 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

...and my mind is blown! Best of the three. Considering how much I've drooled over the 2nd one...that's saying a lot for me.

Twitter: @ChipReece
JasonNewcomb
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Glad you liked!

I was dissappointed. 6 from 10. Shayla loved it!

Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

What didnt you like?

colts06
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

I loved the movie myself. I thought it brought closure to it all. I have watched it twice and am sure there will be a 3rd time I watch it for sure.
JasonNewcomb
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

chipreece wrote
What didnt you like?

First, covering the facial features of a brilliant actor is always a mistake. It alienates the viewer [source">. I saw Hardy in Bronson, and though
his physical presence is a big part of the success of his performance, he is also a subtle and sophisticated actor. To take away a big part of his acting arsenal greatly reduced my empathy for the
character. Emotionally speaking, Bane was mono-dimensional. No matter how interesting his backstory or dialog was, I barely ever cared or connected with the character in any way. Only at the very
end did we see a glimpse of hope for Bane's character to become empathetically realized and that hope was summarily squashed. I feel Bane was the biggest failure of the film. He was a cartoon of
himself. (side note: the explanation for the mask was ridiculous. What? Pills don't exist in Nolan's Bat-verse? Not to mention that Bane seems to have inexplicably inexhaustible resources. Realistic
movie my ass).

Second, the wide chronological girth of the plot created even more distance between me and the film. I felt I was watching a piece of history more than a character arc. In the previous films, a balance
was struck, but here the film's main character was Gotham. Though I love mythos, I don't think focusing on lore makes for a compelling movie-going experience. Reserve that sort of thing for TV and
books. Movies must maintain a laser-focus on the characters and add in mythos and lore only to support the characters.

Related to the above, concentrating on delivering several years of story made for spotty pacing. I felt as if so much time went by and instead of seeing the events take place, we would witness bullet
points of the story punctuated by speeches from Bane (see first paragraph for why I think that's boring). It's an inherent problem caused by the ambitious scope of the film. What? I'm supposed to
believe this guy is a mastermind because of one impressive thing he does in the first scene? Everything else he does is kind of dumb. He just works out a lot, eats protein and makes quirky speeches.
Once in a while he punches things.

Those things above rendered several of the movies attempts at payoff utterly flacid. The final confrontation between Bane and Bats had little to no meaning. I didn't care about any of it. They were just
punching each other. The screen might as well light up with "Bif Bam Pow" effects at this point (a la 60s Batman). Boring.

Also, the central macguffin, the bomb. Really? Just one guy in the entire world knows how to disarm this thing? What about the crew that built this apparatus? No? None of them are around? That's a
hard swallow if you ask me. Fine, I can roll with it if I'm engrossed in the film, but for the reasons above I wasn't, so this kind of thing annoys me more.

Catwoman's motivations were not entirely clear either but talking about this to Shayla, it seems I missed a few key pieces of dialog (probably from being a kind of bored) that revealed a lot more about
her than I understood. But I still liked Hathaway's performance and Catwoman was a highlight. I liked her because the Anne made me care about her emotionally. Nitpick: I'm disappointed Nolan went
for a cat pun. I was hoping that wouldn't happen. It cheapened the scene a little.

Gordon-Levitt was great! I loved the working-man vibe of his character and he had a brilliant arc. Another highlight. I cared about him the whole way, he was a fully realized distinct character with the
right amount of pathos without the melodrama. Cool beans.

The heavy hitters were great as usual, Caine, Freeman, Oldman. These guys are genetically incapable of bad acting it seems.

Tom called it heady, I call it plodding. He called it epic, I call it muddy. He says hammering, I say repetitive. He says brutal, I say aimless.

My Public Stash

My take on it is i was underwhelmed. Thought a few things could've been done different, or better. But the issues I had with Bane is what disappointed me the most. I'm in the camp of finding his voice on this
side of annoying. I understand they were going for an articulate and educated persona, but with all the criticism of the voice in the original footage, i thought they overcorrected it.
Now, i've already had another discussion on this next point and i was thoroughly pounded, by i found him to be not as big as i would've liked. I appreciate Nolan's realism, and have a slight man-crush on
Hardy, so i'm not a hater. But if you're going to cover his face, like Jason says, it's a mistake. You could've found a bigger actor to physically portray him, and i'm sure he could've held his collar just as
well as Hardy.
And the back-breaking scene? Eh.
Moving to the ending...loved it except i wouldn't have shown him. My thought is they tested two scenes, one showing them and one not. That scene won.

Otherwise it was fine. Of the 3 Supe movies this summer that was an easy 3rd for me, especially considering I had reversed expectations on AS and DKR.
chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I disagree completely on the Bane mask. Sure, a conventional movie you want to see the face, because it gives more range for the actor to show some things. But, I didn't see a problem with that
when I saw Darth Vader. And, he was like that in 3 movies! Why can't a mask be used to hide expression on purpose? I didn't want to see his face. I like how it portrayed an unemotional
unwavering tormentor. And, I don't think a student of Ras al ghul would defile his body with medication. He needs to be at his best and sharpest, and years of medicine use causes deterioration of
the body and possibly his mind.

chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Also, if his issue has to do with his lungs, then he most likely would need o2 on top of other treatments. He couldn't be very effective lugging o2 tanks around with him.

JasonNewcomb
Posted: Aug 6 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Good point about the drugs but isn't that what the mask does? Deliver a pain-killer?

Re Darth Vader: True, I'm not sure why it worked there. Perhaps because more time is spent fleshing his relationships out? Not sure. Raises good questions though.

Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I guess I didn't catch that it was distributing a pain killer, seems an unnecessary place for it if it was! I thought it was working as an air purifier of some kind.

Parallax2814
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

It said he was in pain without it. But, it never explicitly stated it distributed a pain killer.

My Public Stash

Looking at the opinions on here I can see everyone's point ... I liked it to the point of I think "Robin" was great and Alfred did quite well. I also agree that Bane was a little off. After reading how cunning and calculating he was and seeing how much of a match for Batman he was, this version just seemed kinda off (besides the reliance on pain killers.) Also, who decided that making Bane sound like a over-acting Sean Connery was a good idea?
chipreece
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Psycho wrote
Looking at the opinions on here I can see everyone's point ... I liked it to the point of I think "Robin" was great and Alfred did quite well. I also agree that Bane was a little off. After
reading how cunning and calculating he was and seeing how much of a match for Batman he was, this version just seemed kinda off (besides the reliance on pain killers.) Also, who decided that
making Bane sound like a over-acting Sean Connery was a good idea?

Haha my wife actually asked me if it was Connery doing the voice!

danimalxiii
Posted: Sep 13 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Personally I thought it was a brilliant film, best film of 2012. Modern day classic, this generations Return of the Jedi etc...

And I reckon Nolan has made the Batman franchise (in film terms) untouchable for 20 years or so.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

Just thought I'd post my thoughts as well. I also loved the movie, definitely decent, with an awesome plot (unlike Avengers). Though, I couldn't say I liked either movie better. They were totally different animals. As for the Bane mask covering his face? Well, his eyes were there to really help with the acting, and I thought he did a darn good job. Looking forward to every and any other movie Nolan works on.