Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » How to put 6 comics in 1 frame
mwshook
Posted: Jul 4 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Here's my plan: Get Hawkeye 1-6 (and maybe 7-12) signed by Matt Fraction. Hang them on my wall. Bask in the awesomeness.
I can't think of a set that would look better framed in my office. I am going to try to set them up so he could sign all 6 with one huge swipe of the marker.

Here's an approximation of what it will look like. Ideally I will get 7-12 (the red issues) in a second frame. Issue 6 is red, but I will get the purple variant cover.

Then I want to put the set of 6 together in a frame. The dimensions are about 20.5in x 20.5in for the set. I will probably go to a frame shop although the prices can be
outrageous. Pre-made 22x22in frames can be had for reasonable prices online. Even if I use a frame shop, I need a plan.

1. What should I put the books in? Poly bags with or without backing boards?
2. Should I have it matted? This would cut down on pressure between the book and the glass.
3. Should I use a glue to attach the back of the bag to the base of the frame? What kind? I would plan for the books to stay in the frame for a long time, but may want to
reframe them at some point in the distant future.

A good thing about this project is I can try some of this out with cheap old comics before the real thing.

Basically, any advice on making this look as good and long-lasting as possible without spending an arm and a leg?

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Two words: Velcro tape.

Admin Group

there is s post on here someplace regarding framing and displaying, i suggest you read it if you havent already.
make sure the glass in the frame is UV protective and Acid Free.
example $35 for your size.

using bags will kill the effect you are going for. wont be a clean transition between the books. and they will probably
sag a bit when you mount them.

personally...i would get rid of the bag/board....no matte....find a thin but durable T wedge and glue(? mount) it in the
middle of and possibly bottom of the frame. this will provide a shelf like support so that the books on top are not
sitting directly on the book on the bottom, and depending on the bottom of the frame the bottom books have a level
support to sit on. measure the spacing carefully where to place the wedge this way when its between the books its not
seen. if possible find one from acid free plexiglass, or another material.
this will give you a clean look with nothing between the covers.

mwshook
Posted: Jul 9 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Thanks for the suggestion nisav!
But what is a T wedge exactly. My google searches haven't been helpful

Admin Group
Admin Group

you know what, i overcomplicated it with the wedge...here is a much simpler solution.

everything is the same, except get rid of the twedge and replace with "clear archival self adhesive acid free corners"
example

they are cheap, see through and the archival acid free part makes sure they won't damage the paper. you put one on each corner of each issue and this will get the covers cleanly and
safely side by side with no drooping.

and with this you can use a matte as well.

Edited by nisav - 09 July 2013 at 5:51pm

mwshook
Posted: Jul 12 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Thanks Nisav! That sounds perfect!

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

In the sake of keeping things simple, I have revised my plan. After shopping around, I found this
4-comic frame.

Instead of 2 frames, with six comics each, I will do 3 frames of 4. I will try to get him to sign across each row of 4. The
spacing might look a little less cool, but won't require me to learn any new crafting skills.

Admin Group
Admin Group

looks cool, but there is no product info on that page...specifically materials the frame is made from or any specs on UV and so on.

ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Posted: Jul 29 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I think you should go with your first plan. It's super awesome and will be rewarding when you pull it off.

Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

The main page for their frames has info on the materials. States it is acid-free etc. The store is geared toward storing
collectibles, coins, sports cards, vinyl, etc. So hopefully it's quality stuff and they know what they are doing. It would be nice to have some UV-resistant glass. I may have some made at a future point.

I agree that my original idea would look cooler. But it was starting to look like way more time and money than I was willing to spend. I could outsource it by going to a local frame shop, but their prices
escalate very quickly.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED

This project (like most projects) ended up being much bigger than originally planned: 12 comics instead of 6. I went with the Bags Unlimited 4-comic frames. You can move around the
dividers so the books are touching. Without futher ado:

This will look so awesome in my office! I like the way the 3 frames make up a perfect square, an unexpected perk.
Matt thought it was an awesome idea. I was going to show him a pic of the finished product the next day but didn't have time.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Wicked!

Very nice Matt , I am sure it will look great in your office .
Great Scott!
Posted: Jun 13 2018 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Looks like Moderation has some sweeping up to do.

Does this ever result in some kind of revenue for whoever is behind it? I mean does anyone actually look over these spam posts and think, "Hm, I'll try this out."?

My Public Stash

I always assume they are automated spam bots. Pretty annoying, and like 99.9% of all spam, just useless and ultimately pointless.