Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » Old Grades vs New Grades
danimalxiii
Posted: Jan 30 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Yes, the topic title does sound confusing as a grade is a grade right no matter the age?

Well, I was wondering if an older graded book by CGC is worth cracking and resubmitting, for a possible higher grade? But that would imply that they are getting
more lax at grading I guess which shouldn't happen.

When I say an 'older graded book' I mean one that has the older certificate like the one pictured (ignore the actual grade and issue, just using this so people
know what I'm talking about.)

So has anyone ever cracked and resubmitted a book here in hope of a higher grade? or were you stung and a lower grade came back?

Edited by danimalxiii - 30 January 2014 at 6:15pm

I have heard that . But I don't know if its worth a risk . I could see maybe if one opened it to have it pressed and resent it in .I don't think that qualifies as
restoration work . I can't imagine cgc standards have change over the years . But one never knows .Maybe people grade slightly different . I wonder do
more than one person look at a comic when it is graded ? I have a couple of early Submariners that are grade a 6.0 and 6.5 and they sure look might nice
for there grade level . But they are not a valuable comic worth regrading .
danimalxiii
Posted: Feb 1 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I think two people look at the book during grading. First person does the grade / report then it's passed on to a second person to double check and agree on
grade given.

That makes total sense . Was wondering about the human factor .
danimalxiii
Posted: Feb 1 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

The grading process is explained here

My Public Stash

Obviously it isn't automatic that an old label will bump at least one grade (0.5) with a re-submission, even with today's "loose" grading, but if the book is a major or
minor key, and if you have recent experience with today's grading and feel your book looks nicer than the assigned grade, it can certainly be worth the risk.

Pressing was not as common during the "Old Label" days, so having it dry cleaned, pressed (neither presently considered Restoration by CGC) and resubmitted may
be an excellent option. I have a Hulk #181 that was originally a CGC 6.0 and I sent it to Joey Grisolia and it came back 7.0-
Definitely worth it. There are other services, but Joey has been doing this for several years, and as far as I'm concerned I will send my resubmissions only to him.

My Public Stash

In regard to pressing being considered restoration, it looks like that's a controversial topic.

However, CCS, which is the restoration service that CGC recommends, does not consider pressing to be restoration.
CSC Pressing