Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » realistic expectations
BradHP
Posted: Feb 23 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I'm hoping to get some insight from people that have sold stuff recently. I just finished logging in my entire collection. It's 1162 books, total cover price of $2,499.56, and the estimated value from here is $4,934.41. I already have one buyer that's looking for
whole collections browsing my list, and another buyer who's interested in just Amazing Spider-Man, Uncanny X-Men, and Wolverine.

The problem is that I have no idea what I should reasonably expect to get for them. I'd love to at least make back my cover prices, but is that crazy of me? Should I expect way less than even that? I've looked at price guides, I've checked some ebay auctions,
and I still have no idea what's a realistic price.

Edited by BradHP - 23 February 2014 at 5:44pm

jonervin26

Well, really there is no clear cut answer to your question. It really matters about what you are selling, and who you're selling it to. If your collection is mostly comics from the last 20 or so years it generally won't have much value. Comics (for the most part) have to get some age to acquire value. There are always exceptions, "hot books" will spike and you'll be able to sell them for close to book value (right now Saga #1 for instance). Generally with collections you're looking at having to discount your price though. You will probably get more, or at least a higher percentage of book value if you can sell the collection off in smaller pieces. Of course that is much more work.
So again it really matters what you're selling and who is buying. If you have desirable and sought after comics, or a really motivated buyer you'll get closer to full value. Selling to private collectors will always get you a higher percentage than selling to any retailers, even a local comic store, where you'll be lucky to get a small fraction of book value. Normally though, and you may not like this, and others may dispute this, but from what I've seen throughout my years of collecting you'll be fairly lucky to get around 50% of book value for a normal comic collection sale. For a higher level collection which contains lots of "key" comics that number will certainly go up. But also, for a "common" comic collection consisting of just recent books that don't have super high collectability that sale percentage will even go down. Where in you probably won't even get back your full cover price value.
Hope this bit of info is helpful. Honestly, so much of a sale price is about specifics though and can vary greatly. There really is no set in stone price or true expectation of value. Your sale price hope can start at full book value as a haggling price. Just realize you will almost certainly have to come down from there quite a bit.

Edited by jonervin26 - 24 February 2014 at 9:11am

BradHP

My Public Stash

Thanks, that was very helpful.

Next question, while searching I've come across a few different sites that claim to buy your collection for cash. https://www.mycomicshop.com/webuycomics, getcashforcomics.com, http://www.metropoliscomics.com/load_article.php?type=articl e&action=view&article_id=8, http://www.newkadia.com/?Comic_pag=Sell, and I'm sure I'll find 20 more if I keep scrolling through Google.

Are any of these place legit? I haven't requested a quote from any yet, but I might give it a try later. They probably pay about the same as a comic shop, which is nothing. My biggest fear is shipping everything off and not getting paid for it.
Spooky Dragon
Posted: Feb 24 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash

Looking at your public collection, I saw a few things that would interest a buyer, but I think cover price is extremely optimistic. Its likely I missed a few things but what I saw was the gambit 1st apperance, the carnage books, and some of the batman stuff. Assuming everythings VF/NM or better, I'd start at $50 for the gambit and add to that half the total value of all the other books which are $8 or higher. After that add $2 for each ASM and $1 for every x-men, non-asm spidey, and batman that are worth less than $8. That is your starting asking price for the whole lot (you'll likely have to negotiate from there) but don't lower your price just cause someone offers to take only a few books -- they will want the more expensive ones and you'll end up with 1,000 books that will only fetch you $10-$20. Also solid runs are much easier to sell off than a similar set with gaps in it.

To give you an idea of what dealers pay, I have a good relationship with a number of dealers and pickers. With my contacts, I can get almost any non-key book from the 90s on for a buck a piece (excluding new releases.) If we talking about non-popular characters (i.e. not spidey, wolverine, batman, thanos, etc) it goes down to about 50 cents. Which brings me to the dealers. If the dealers are selling it to me for .50 it means they are paying something like .10 a book. With keys or older comics its different, but I've seen enough purchases from dealers to know they are offering something like 10-20% their sale price (which is always below guide) unless they have a buyer for a specific book lined up.

I know at least some of the places you mentioned are legit, and there's no reason not to get a free quote (mycomicshop.com even lists their buy price online, I think) but while selling to an onliine dealer maybe the most convenient, they will also likely offer you the least. My guess is a couple of hundred dollars, but you should check to be sure since I rarely sell to dealers.

Edited by Spooky Dragon - 24 February 2014 at 5:26am

Great Scott!
Posted: Mar 3 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I agree. Selling to a dealer will likely get you nowhere near top dollar, as they're looking to turn a profit. eBay used to be a good way to get as close to, or higher
than, top dollar for hot books, but it's becoming such a pain to sell there. There are... *ahem*... other message boards out there where I have sold MANY of my
books. One thing I've noticed is that the higher the grade, the easier it is to ask for top dollar. As stated earlier, if the book is HOT (like say, Iron Man #55 or
Avengers #57) you can still feel confident to ask for close to top dollar even for lower grade books. Overstreet Price Guide is one way to price a book, but past
sales prices from sites like eBay can give you a more recent feel for what a certain book is selling for, since the last Overstreet edition won't reflect the silliness
that Hulk #271 (just one example) is generating.

It can be tough to sell comics, so keep in mind that establishing yourself as a trustworthy and reliable collector/seller is just about one of the most important
factors. If you go to a Collectors site/Message Board where you can buy/sell comics, and just dive right in with books for sale, you may find it even tougher. There
are far too many scammers out there that have learned that comics are an easy way to prey on people's $$$ and true collectors tend to be very wary. There is a
seller on eBay right now- with zero feedback- selling nothing but MAJOR key comics. While it's not completely impossible for him/her/them to be legit, it is very
fishy and most likely a scam. It has already been established that the image used for the Amazing Fantasy #15 listed in the sale has been copied from another
sale. BIG RED FLAG Here is a link

Let people get to know you, and it should get easier. Sorry if some of this is off topic. Hope it helps a little.