Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » Experiences or tips for shipping comics
navik
Posted: Mar 7 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Ok, I have tons and tons of comic books (30+ longboxes?) I have resolved to start selling them. Probably on eBay, but I was wondering if I could draw from people's
experiences.

Has anyone sold on Craigslist? Do you generally meet somewhere not at your house to exchange?

And for shipping. I'm reading that I should put comics between two relatively hard pieces of cardboard. I heard you can get free boxes at the post office, but does
that require that you ship right away? Or can I walk in, grab boxes, walk out, then package the comics at home?   If I'm selling, I'd like to have them all packed up so
the moment a sale happens I can ship them.

I guess I'm a little gun shy at giving this a go.   Any tips on shipping comics?

Posted: Mar 8 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

navik wrote
Ok, I have tons and tons of comic books (30+ longboxes?) I have resolved to start selling them. Probably on eBay, but I was wondering if I could
draw from people's
experiences.

Has anyone sold on Craigslist? Do you generally meet somewhere not at your house to exchange?

And for shipping. I'm reading that I should put comics between two relatively hard pieces of cardboard. I heard you can get free boxes at the post office, but does
that require that you ship right away? Or can I walk in, grab boxes, walk out, then package the comics at home?   If I'm selling, I'd like to have them all packed up so
the moment a sale happens I can ship them.

I guess I'm a little gun shy at giving this a go.   Any tips on shipping comics?

If you sell on craigslist, definitely meet at a neutral location, and don't go alone- especially if you're bringing valuable books.

2 very stiff pieces of cardboard are perfect for a small number of books. Try to make at least a one inch border all the way around. 3 books and 2 pieces of sturdy
cardboard will fit in a priority envelope (12-1/2" x 9-1/2" @ $5.60). If you use a Priority box, make sure you use bubble wrap as well as strong cardboard. You can use
popcorn, but people hate dealing with that. There are two Medium flat rate boxes that cost $12.35 to ship regardless of weight. They measure 13-5/8" x 11-7/8" x 3-
3/8" (good for up to 12 or so books) and 11" x 8-1/2" x 5-1/2" (good for 25-30 books). There are also two Large flat rate boxes ($17.45) that measure 23-11/16" x
11-3/4" x 3" and 12" x 12" x 5-1/2". I rarely use these unless I'm shipping slabbed books or need extra security for very valuable books. If you're only selling a couple
books but want to use a box rather than an envelope, I would not use a flat rate box. You'll pay more for the flat rate because 2 books in a generic box will weigh
less.

Priority boxes a "free" to pick up and package at home. Don't wrap them in paper as they may measure the box size. If they suspect that one of their boxes are being
used and are disguised in order to save on fees, they won't be happy and may slap a "postage due" on the recipient. This will result in an unhappy recipient, and that's
bad for business.

Here's a PO link

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash

+1 to Darth Ominus' advice.

I'd only add not to have them packaged up before the sale ends, at least not sealed. I usually try to buy multiple auctions from a seller at one time so the shipping can be combined. You don't want to have to reopen and reseal a bunch of boxes if one person wins multiple auctions and they will expect it to be all in one package.

Edited by Spooky Dragon - 09 March 2014 at 4:23pm

Great Scott!
Posted: Mar 9 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I agree. If somebody claims something from one of my sales, and I haven't listed everything yet, I always point this out and ask if they want to wait or if they want
to settle at that time.

My Public Stash

Thanks for the responses. I'll have to hit the Post Office sometime soon and get started.

Also, it seems like media mail is a real **** for shipping comic books. I could have swore I had a lot of comics shipped to me that way (especially large lots), but it
sounds like USPS is really hammering down on that.

Edited by navik - 13 March 2014 at 9:36pm

Posted: Mar 14 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I never chance it. They can open any package they suspect doesn't fall within the rules. Simply not worth it.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

One of the hosts on the podcast I edit/produce actually just got jumped this past week over a Walking Dead #1, first printing he was trying to sell through Craig's list. He met the "potential buyers" in public, but they managed to get him out of the trafficed areas by saying they didn't want to carry the cash until they knew HE was legit, and they needed to go to an ATM. He's had jobs as bar security in the past, so he thought he'd be fine, but there were more of them, he was alone, and it didn't end well.

Other than bruising and a couple of tender ribs, he's fine now, and the comic itself was hidden so they weren't able to steal that, but he lost a library of role-playing books that were in the front of his car, with more sentimental than monetary value.

At any rate, the moral of the story is if you're meeting internet people in public, make sure it's a VERY public area, that you have a group with you, and don't let any excuse fly about changing the scenery. If they need to get something, they can go themselves and return to the public place. If that's too much hassle for them, then they mustn't want to buy the book(s) that bad.