Forums » Report Site Issues, Errors, etc » Values way too high.
jparkhurst
Posted: Mar 27 2014 | IP Logged

Most of the comics are valued way too high, thus making the feature of calculating the value of your collection pretty pointless. If the prices listed here were to be believed, my collection would be worth a few thousand dollars, when the reality is I would be lucky to get a few hundred.
I guess I could incorrectly mark my comics as being in much worse condition than they are to bring down the estimated value, but that would get confusing.
A lot of comics are basically worthless or at least worth less than a plastic sleeve to keep it in. Just for example let's say Marvel's Sleepwalker series from the early nineties that only lasted 30 some odd issues. They suck and are worthless and no one wants them. But according to this site, the complete set in NM condition would be worth over $70. No one in the world would pay that.
Any plans on fixing this any time soon?
jparkhurst
Posted: Mar 28 2014 | IP Logged

Is someone from stashmycomics going to answer my post? Comics are almost worthless except for certain first appearances etc. So this whole site is a joke until they bring down the values. Hello? Anyone gonna reply?
jparkhurst
Posted: Mar 28 2014 | IP Logged

I think you guys are being very crappy until you answer this post. You are giving people delusions that their comics are worth something, which 9 times out of 10 they're worthless. Until you fix this, you are completely f'ing people over by getting their hopes up. Any replies?
Spooky Dragon
Posted: Mar 29 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash

The values are entered by users not the operators of the site, but by the users themselves. It relies on a community consensus for each book. There have been many discussions in the forums about how to determine the correct "value" of a comic. While not everyone agrees, generally the values entered here are "guide" price...similar to what you would see in Overstreet.

Guide price is not (and never was) a realistic idea of what a comic is worth. Remember Overstreet and similar guides are what you would pay if you called up one of the elite comic dealers in the country (the ones who Shaq and Nick Cage uses) and asked them to locate a specific book in an exact condition, authenticate it, and offer a money back guarantee on it. Most comics are not sold that way and are therefore considerably cheaper. Basically a guide is "this is the highest price a book would sell for."

Though not accurate for a bargain shopper (which most collectors are), guide prices though do serve a helpful role as a measuring stick. For example, the rule of thumb for eBay dealers is 50% off guide for auction starting price and 30% off guide for Buy-it-Nows.

If you want to know what your collection is really valued at it can be done with some simple math. For me (because of the variety of ages I collect) I calculate the replacement value of my collection at 50% the listed price here. If I had to sell it quickly (bulk, to a dealer) I would expect to get 25% of the stated value. Collectors of more current issues would have drastically lower returns, someone whose collection was completely comprised of high grade CGC'd Golden Age books would probably get higher than guide.

The complaints you make are true of any price guide. If you want to make a case that price guides are completely f'ing people over by getting their hopes up." you certainly can; many people have. But to suggest that SMC is somehow being irresponsible because they allow users to use industry standards in determining the value of their books is disingenuous.

You also don't suggest a solution. This is where the problem lies when trying to decide what price to list. Are you suggesting that we list the price a dealer is willing to buy comics at? If so then the every dealers price would be 90 to 25% higher than guide. The lowest price a book sold for? The highest? It's these details that clog up any attempts to rework the industries use of the current price guide system.

And yes, no one would pay $70 for the sleepwalker series. They would, howerver, pay 30% of guide price for the series off eBay, exactly as expected; it happened last week:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sleepwalker-34-issues-1-thru-33-and- Holiday-Special-Full-Series-NM-1991-/121292611520?pt=US_Comi c_Books&hash=item1c3d9a5fc0&nma=true&si=vvOKoqhR03GFqLXV%252 F9aHSoeY5sE%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
triplejaysus
Posted: Apr 1 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

My 2c is that it depends what you use the price guide for.
For me, I consider it a replacement value for insurances purposes.
If I lost all my comics in a fire, what would it cost to replace them.
I use the value guide for that purpose only.

And of course any community consensus system is subject to flaws.
For example my signed Wolverine #1 is listed here as being worth $50

http://www.stashmycomics.com/searchviewcomic.asp?kcid=319745

despite the fact you can still buy them online for GBP 4.50

https://forbiddenplanet.com/99229-wolverine-1-now-forbidden- planet-deadpool-variant/

I have corrected this a number of times, but it always gets back up to $50.
It's obvious that some owner of this comic wants people to think it's worth that.
Parallax2814
Posted: Apr 3 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

What's the solution? As per your example, Overstreet lists issues of Sleepwalker at $3 per issue, I believe. Should we not use Overstreet as a guide since most copies of Sleepwalker can be found in dollar bins?

We've debated this issue before and there is no solution that solves it completely. If we do not use Overstreet then we are missing out on their Golden and Silver Age prices, which they are pretty trustworthy with. Even most of their Bronze Age is on the money. The problem is Modern books, I think we can all agree on that.

One issue with Modern books are from the mid-80s to the mid-90s, they printed a ton of them. Just like baseball cards during the same time frame, so many copies were produced it devalues what is out there through sheer volume. Take Jim Lee's X-Men #1. 5 different covers for #1. First "X-Men" title since Uncanny started. Great cover, made a million of them. So what should have been, at least now, a $20+ book, is relegated to dollar bins across the country. I think they are listed in Overstreet at $5. But, what is Overstreet supposed to do? List them at $1? That's below the cover price of the book, and I don't think any book is ever listed for less than the cover price.

The second notable issue with using Overstreet for Modern books is price fluctuations. NYX #3 has been my biggest example of this for the past couple years. The book steadily sells for $40-60 on ebay every time. Yet the guide for the past two years has listed the NM value at $10. Not only that, but Incredible Hulk #271 is selling for massive amounts right now. But, it's a $3 book in the guide. Overstreet is a yearly guide, they can't keep up with characters that get hot because they might have a movie made with them in it. And even when they do print a new guide, should they start saying that it's a $50 book, when market trends tend to prove that the book drops in price once the movie is out?

I admit, I got a little off-track and rambled a little bit, but the overall point is, Overstreet is a great tool for old books, not so much on newer books. But, I want to address another part of your post, when you say your collection is listed at thousands, but would realistically get a few hundred.

Realistically, you are correct. But, hardly anyone gets full book out of a comic unless it is a super hot book, or a key issue.

Our pricing is user generated. It's great at keeping track of books that are trending. Go take a look at the Hulk #271. Without our users being able to see what the book as been selling for, that may still be listed at $3 and we would have people asking why we didn't change pricing to keep with trends. When the book starts to falter and return to a lower price point, the value will change accordingly. But, the system isn't perfect, as it's been admitted in the past. One problem I have with it is variants. When variants come out, they're super hot and draw big money. 6 months later the price is a tenth of what it was. But, there are some people who paid the high amount and don't want the value changed lower.

It's an imperfect system, we have admitted before. But, aside from a few hiccups, it works well.

Oh, and your comment that comics are worthless except for first appearances, is just untrue. A comic is worth whatever someone will pay for it.

Posted: Apr 23 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hello? jparkhurst are you there? I think you're being pretty crappy for not responding to these posts, dude. LOL

You all hit it on the head. It's far off from a simple matter, and if you disagree, you can go pay a monthly fee at another comic database for the same thing.

Twitter: @ChipReece
danimalxiii
Posted: May 14 2014 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

jparkhurst wrote
I think you guys are being very crappy until you answer this post. You are giving people delusions that their comics are worth something,
which 9 times out of 10 they're worthless. Until you fix this, you are completely f'ing people over by getting their hopes up. Any replies?

No, SMC isn't. As mentioned before the value for the majority of books has been inputted by a user and/or several users. If it bothers you that much then go alter
the prices, but at the end of the day they might get put back up to a higher price again. Obviously some users like the fact the value is high, it may be incorrect but
there isn't much that can be done about it.

Also I'd like to add that Value differs, greatly; a book is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it, therefore it can be a fairly moot point that users are valuing
books too high.

My Public Stash

I wish ppl would use over street. Its the best guide. To use the sleepwalker example its basically at an inflated cover price which for over street right now is around 3 or 4 bucks. If you look through the older guides you see
that the basic prices have slowly increased to match basically what current cover prices are at that time. I would expect the prices of some to raise to 3.50 or maybe 4 in 5 years since most comics are steady at 3.99 They
are technically worth that but BC the 90s were trying to kill the industry and companies were playing to prospectors you will continue to see them in dollar bins. Ppl put some really stupid prices on here for new stuff and I
routinely have to fix stuff. I like the calculator but have to keep tabs one my old stuff and the new stuff to try and keep it accurate. Just tiresome for a collection steadily over 7000 comics...

Edited by MrBeefy - 02 July 2014 at 1:11am