Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » Comic book spine ticks/stress marks
Icarus27k
Posted: Apr 18 2014 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

This is the most common form of damage to books that I have in my own collection. Even a newly bought comic can develop these quickly. How many of these things would you say
are allowed in each comic grade? Like in NM, VF, F? Just in case you don't know what I am talking about, here's a photo example:

jonervin26

To me:
NM or Mint pretty much none. VF maybe 1 or 2 small ones with no color break. F can have a few more, with some light color break but no tearing. VG and lower these aren't as big a deal simply because there will usually start to be "bigger issues" going on with the comics then just some spine bends once you get to the lower grades.

It's tough to tell with this specific comic you show above because you only show a small section but it would probably be in the Fine range if the rest of the comic is consistent with what is shown and doesn't have any other major unseen problems.
Spooky Dragon
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash

You can go to this site and select the degree of spine creases (color breaking) or spine stress (non color breaking) then click "get grade" to get an idea of what different levels of spine damage does to a NM/M copy

http://www.e-bigs.net/freetool.php
audino79
Posted: Apr 20 2014 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

Pretty cool site, thanks for sharing that link. /bookmark'd
Icarus27k
Posted: Apr 25 2014 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

I found the following website to be helpful in grading because it quantifies the defects for each grade. For example, a 9.0 VF/NM comic is said to be allowed

six of the following (at least three must be 1/16" or less in size and the remaining must be must be 1/8" in size or less), small spine stress, slight corner blunting, miniscule
tear, miniscule color flake.

Link

Edited by Icarus27k - 25 April 2014 at 10:01am

colonel32
Posted: Jan 11 2016 | IP Logged

Super helpful thread and links. Exactly what
I was looking for. Thanks!
Nissan
Posted: May 3 2016 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

A Comic Collector With Comics That Seem To Have Actually Been Read At Some Point, You Naughty Boy. Remember It's The Art And Story That Make A Comic, Not The Number Of Marks On It (For Sellers Only, And Everybody Has A Different Grade) . Nice Looking Captain America Comic, Good Condition For Something Made In The 70's. I'm From The 70's, And My Condition Isn't As Good.