Forums » Conventions & Shows Discussion » Con Signings
navik
Posted: Aug 14 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

So I went to the Boston Comic Con last weekend. I got a couple autographs. I was a little surprised though. I thought I'd be getting Certificates of Authenticity with the signings, but I didn't.    
Not to say I'm not happy with the autographs I got (Ryan Otley, Gail Simone, Scott Snyder, Greg Capullo, and Esad Ribic).

I was just wondering if anyone had any insight. Are COA's not commonly given out at cons? Or is it a per-con type of thing?

My Public Stash

I've never gotten a COA at a con or store signing. The creator is usually giving you a signature for free (a few charge fees). COA would come out of their pocket. If
you want it certified, find the CGC rep and get it certified and slabbed out of your pocket, not the creators. The creators are trying to provide a fun experience for
their fans and thank them for their support, not create a collectible for someone to sell. You don't need a COA unless you intend to flip the signed book, and that is
none of their concern. In fact, fans flipping signed books and making money off the creator when they gave something for free is actually kind of rude and
exploitative, and annoys a number of creators. Amanda Connor has decided to stop doing free con sketches when she saw someone selling one of those sketches she did
at SDCC the day after she did it on ebay for $200.

-M

Edited by mrp - 14 August 2014 at 2:03pm

My Public Stash

Why does the COA come out of the artist pocket? I thought it'd be something provided by the Con and handed out with the signing. Keep in mind, I don't know sh*t about COAs or
signings. Will I try and sell the comics I got signed? Probably the ones where I had it signed and the experience was very impersonal. I think artists/writers flipping out about their
autograph being used to sell something is a fine line between ridiculous and okay.

I only went with one comic per creator (so 3 comics (snyder/capullo being a single comic) and I bought a comic out of a little bin at Esad's table to get signed for $5). When I got in line
for the Snyder/Capullo signing, a volunteer there said there was a 3-comic limit to have signed "per time in line."   He then went on saying it was completely okay to get into the line again
if you had an additional 3 to have signed, and that the creators encourage it. He then went on to say that he had a buddy that at one con spent the entire day in one creator's line.   (Of
course, there were very few signing lines, the exception was Snyder/Capullo, which was huge.)

A sketch is something else entirely.

Posted: Aug 15 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Why would the Con pay for it? It's just another added expense for them, and COA's don't mean much as they are easily forged. Just about anything you see
with a COA is sold as a "collectible" and you pay for it, and you are also paying for the production of the COA in it's price. If the Cons were to provide COAs, you
can bet they would start charging you extra for the signings or just raise the admission prices overall, both of which would likely hurt attendance and bottom line,
so it's not likely to happen. Most of the collectibles you see with COA's really aren't that collectible at all, they are manufactured collectibles with deliberate
scarcity, and usually for things there is not a lot of demand for anyways. If the creator is giving away the signatures for free as a thank you for fans, why should
the con charge for it to cover the additional expense of a COA and managing such (extra people to monitor them and keep them under wraps so they aren't
pilfered, to distribute them to the appropriate people at each and every creator table for each and every of the hundreds (if not thousands) of books signed by
creators each day of the con. Each then has to be matched somehow with the book signed to actually certify it, so finding a way to seal it with the signed book or
adding a serial number to the book (lowering its grade) and and the certificate itself. All that is expense and logistical nightmares waiting to happen. It would slow
down lines, etc. etc.

The only real accepted way to certify books in collector's circles are CGC signature series anyways. Most will consider a signature unauthentic unless it is observed
and certified by CGC whether or not it has a COA, because of the ease of copying and duplicating certificates with photoshop and other software, so it's a lot of
expense and trouble for what is essentially a worthless piece of paper. Signed books in the open market are usually graded as having a flaw/defect because of the
writing unless it is CGC certified anyways, so even with COA you are probably lowering the value of the book you are trying to flip rather than raising it, so really
why bother with the COA at all? If it's for you and all you want is the memory, just get it signed. If you are looking to flip it, you'll need t get it CGC signature
series anyways to get any value out of it. And I say this as someone who dislikes slabbed books and the whole process of slabbing, but it's the reality of the
market currently.

-M

Posted: Sep 1 2014 | IP Logged

Well I just started to get into having a few signed comics for the wall . I got Cary Nord to sign a conan book . Christos
Gage to sign absolution , Richard Comely captain canuck , Got my Iron Jaw # 1 signed by Neil Adams . Some jon Sable
signed by Mike Grell . Non of which were c o a not that I care either . Also Got a Iron man # 1 from 96 signed by Whilce
Portacio which I just love the cover art on . A Micronauts 2002 convention special signed , got that from mile high comics .
And a couple of local artist stuff . Which I have started to collect and support local creators cause man it's gotta be a
tough gig creating comics .
DRU-MANIC
Posted: Sep 27 2014 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

Went to the SLCC last month and had Stan Lee sign an old Thor issue I had. It was the only one I got any kind of certification with, but it's also the only one I paid more than $20 for (I paid $70). I got a little sticker as a COA. Also had Neal Adams sign SSOC #2 and Savage Tales #4. Also had an X-Men book signed by Whilce Portacio, Archie meets Punisher signed by Batton Lash, Comic Con exclusive Death of Wolverine signed by Greg Horn, Harley Quinn #1 signed by Chad Hardin, and exclusive Liberator: Earth Crisis signed by Matt Miner. Overall, I think I did quite well for my first con. Oh, and I got sketches by Whilce Portacio (which is amazing), quick cover sketch on Wolverine #1 by Jim Cheung, and a crazy good Harley Quinn cover sketch by Chad Hardin, not to mention all the posters and prints that I got signed. I'll definitely be saving up to buy more artwork next year, though. By far my favorite part about the con.