Forums » Conventions & Shows Discussion » Attending This Summer’s Comic Conventions
grfanboy
Posted: Aug 16 2016 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hey folks ~ I thought I'd revive an old topic by asking:

What Conventions Have You Attended (or Plan to Attend) This Summer?

I am about an hour from Toronto so this year I'm attending FanExpo. I've only ever been to one local comiccon before so this is a big deal to me! My local comic store has asked me if I was willing to volunteer at their booth. No brainer! I hear it's the 3rd largest
comiccon in North America. I also hear it's the last Canadian comiccon appearance by Stan Lee. Excited!

I'm curious to hear what fun everyone else is having! Maybe mention in your post whether you go cosplay!

Edited by grfanboy - 16 August 2016 at 12:18am

Parallax2814
Posted: Aug 16 2016 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Don't suppose you'd wanna pick up some convention exclusive books for me would you? Haha.

Posted: Aug 17 2016 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I would love to have that kind of capital at my disposal! Lol
Parallax2814
Posted: Aug 18 2016 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Just a tip, if you can get the Fan Expo Exclusive Batman Adventures #12 at the show, try and pick it up, especially the holofoil.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Over here in Oz...and being over on the West Coast (Perth) we only get two major cons a year and one smaller one so I tend to go to both of the big ones. This years ones have come and gone (April and June) so it's a long wait between drinks. le sigh.

Out of the two this year Supanova was definitely better by far. Both use the same venue in Perth but Supanova was better laid out and had a much more awesome line-up. I got signings from Sean Astin, John Noble and James Marsters. Oz Comic-con I
got signings from Cody Christian and Sonny Strait.

I didn't dress up at this con but last year I went as Lister from Red Dwarf, year before that was New 52 Superman, year before that was a Jawa. Apart from the Jawa, most have been pretty low-key minimal costumes though :)

I tried to get a con exclusive this year as Frew went to the Sydney Supanova but the one comic store that went to both cons didn't bother to grab any to sell over here! Means that is going to be hell to get I reckon.
grfanboy

My Public Stash

Parallax2814 wrote
Just a tip, if you can get the Fan Expo Exclusive Batman Adventures #12 at the show, try and pick it up, especially the holofoil.

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm on a budget but that sounds like one to go for. I went perusing your stash and noticed you are into variants. Am I right? What got you into that kind of collecting if you don't mind me asking? Also, is there any particular
source you use that lets you know what exclusives are running at the cons?

Thanks!
Parallax2814
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

grfanboy wrote
Parallax2814 wrote

Wow, thanks for the heads up! I'm on a budget but that sounds like one to go for. I went perusing your stash and noticed you are into variants. Am I right? What got you into that kind of collecting if you don't mind me asking? Also, is there any particular
source you use that lets you know what exclusives are running at the cons?

Thanks!

I'm a completist so I need all the variants for issues. I don't use anything one source. Usually the convention itself will let you know what their exclusives are before the show.

I was trying to complete my iron man series variants till this current series # 1 must have 40 plus covers what the heck . So I've decided to scrap that idea
John Keyt

Next month we have the annual Red & White Comic & Toy Show . Looking to complete my Canadian price variants for volume 1 of Conan the Barbarian and Volume 1 of Iron
man .
grfanboy

My Public Stash

petey212 wrote
Over here in Oz...and being over on the West Coast (Perth) we only get two major cons a year and one smaller one so I tend to go to both of the big ones. This years ones have come and gone (April and June) so it's a long wait between
drinks. le sigh.

Out of the two this year Supanova was definitely better by far. Both use the same venue in Perth but Supanova was better laid out and had a much more awesome line-up. I got signings from Sean Astin, John Noble and James Marsters. Oz Comic-con I
got signings from Cody Christian and Sonny Strait.

I didn't dress up at this con but last year I went as Lister from Red Dwarf, year before that was New 52 Superman, year before that was a Jawa. Apart from the Jawa, most have been pretty low-key minimal costumes though :)

I tried to get a con exclusive this year as Frew went to the Sydney Supanova but the one comic store that went to both cons didn't bother to grab any to sell over here! Means that is going to be hell to get I reckon.

What is your biggest motivator for attending a con? Is it the signings (sounds like you have a decent collection there)? Or is it a mixed of reasons (i.e. costumes, exclusives, collectibles, networking)?
grfanboy

My Public Stash

John Keyt wrote
Next month we have the annual Red & White Comic & Toy Show . Looking to complete my Canadian price variants for volume 1 of Conan the Barbarian and Volume 1 of Iron
man .

Power to you and Parallax2814! Impressive to say the least.
petey212
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

grfanboy wrote

What is your biggest motivator for attending a con? Is it the signings (sounds like you have a decent collection there)? Or is it a mixed of reasons (i.e. costumes, exclusives, collectibles, networking)?

I think you hit the nail on the head, it's a bit of a mix but I think the big thing is the signings, occasionally photos as well. It's more what those represent though, which is the chance to meet celebs from movies, tv franchises, anime, cartoons or comic book
artists and thank them for their work and hopefully walk away with a story and experience. It's primarily why I don't get the stands that sell autographs from other cons, that doesn't appeal to me at all.

I do quite enjoy the costumes as well and I bring my camera and most people are quite accommodating and really want to be photographed too. I also boost my comic collection at each con with either a new series pack (e.g. a mini series, last one I bought I
think was the Wolverine and Kitty Pryde one which was great!) or I'll buy a bronze age or earlier comic, almost exclusively Marvel and primarily Spider-man. And if none of those catch my eye (which happened this year at Supanova) I'll grab a new graphic
novel.

And my wife and I do tend to like our board games and funny t-shirts so they always get a look in :) If we get around to it I really enjoy the q and a sessions but we usually are pretty dead by the end of the day and skip out on those.

TL:DR

I like the signings, followed by the costumes, followed by the comics and then satisfying the merch/q&a times.

grfanboy
Posted: Aug 22 2016 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

petey212 wrote

And my wife and I do tend to like our board games and funny t-shirts so they always get a look in :) If we get around to it I really enjoy the q and a sessions but we usually are pretty dead by the end of the day and skip out on those.

You sound like my kind of people! What board game is trending at your house right now? Also, where do you get most of your games?
petey212
Posted: Aug 23 2016 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

grfanboy wrote

You sound like my kind of people! What board game is trending at your house right now? Also, where do you get most of your games?

Atmo the game of choice is Machi Karo but it varies. Ticket to ride and pretty much any of the board games those guys make always gets a play as well and we have both forbidden island and desert. Last game we played was Cards Against Humanity though
which is always a blast. I did pick up two new ones at the last con but we haven't gotten around to playing those yet :)