Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » Site Price Accuracy
Red_Gryphon
Posted: Jan 4 2019 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hi I'm new to this site but I've been looking to find a database where I can catalog my collection then possibly start trading. So while I'm stashing my comics I notice some seem to stick out with a huge value such as Venom: Lethal Protector (1993) #4 and 5 [direct editions]. listing at $36 and $40. So I'm wondering where the values come from and if they are accurate.
petey212
Posted: Jan 5 2019 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hi Red,

I'm not 100% but I believe there are 3 sources:
The site has a reliable comic price list (not sure what database they use) that is used when importing the comics into the site (which always seems to be fairly accurate)
The prices people enter that they paid for an item is taken into account and the price adjusts to take that into account and;
Anyone can update the price of a comic by going to the page for that comic (it does get vetted by staff). So if you've paid more than the price listed, you can update the price to the new list price (make sure you get the comic
grade right before you make a change though! list prices are based on near mint value).

Additionally there is something else to keep in mind. Comics, like other pieces of art, are all in the eye of the beholder. Just because a comic is valued at $40 doesn't mean that you necessarily will get $40 for it.

Cheers (and welcome to the site),

Pete
jonervin26
Posted: Jan 5 2019 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

The prices on the site should be used as a starting reference only. The site uses Overstreet pricing I believe, however, the system in place allows pretty much any member to change the listed values for most any comic. Thus you get some weird listings like the $40 listing for Venom Lethal Protector #5 like you mentioned. I don't understand why someone would make such a change other than to inflate their own ego? Making a fictitious change to the price of a relatively worthless comic, doesn't change reality in any way! So it is stupid and futile.
I use the site mainly as a way of nicely cataloging my own collection, but I don't really use my Stash Value as any type of actual real value. Even though I do try to at least go through periodically and make changes to my own stashed collection, whenever I notice someone has made a stupid edit, I will change it back. But trying to police the entire database, is near impossible. There are many issues that are actually UNDER valued by quite a bit too. So it does balance out some.
Still a fantastic website, and I love it. I wouldn't count on your stash total value as being truly accurate though.

Edited by jonervin26 - 05 January 2019 at 11:59am

Nissan
Posted: Jan 15 2019 | IP Logged

Just Fixed The Spider-Man And Wolverine Prices, Some Genius Had Altered Them. All Back To Correct NM Overstreet Prices.
Nissan
Posted: Jan 15 2019 | IP Logged

Early X-Men Prices Also Corrected. (#1-29). I Will Be Searching For Any More Errors/Dip****tery.
tmjones
Posted: Jan 18 2019 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Does anyone have Overstreet and can update the original Blackhawk and tomahawk values? I see that most of them are still at their 10 cent or 15 cent original prices.
Nissan
Posted: Jan 29 2019 | IP Logged

Check Out The Newkadia Site, It Lists The Overstreet Prices Of Each Comic.
Nissan
Posted: Feb 24 2019 | IP Logged

Early X-Force Prices Fixed. Noticed A Move Up In Price For #2, An Early Deadpool.