Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » introduce yourself and talk collecting
BallGaggedNun
Posted: Jan 19 2013 | IP Logged

So how did you start collecting?
I started collecting around 4 years ago, after an artist I admire said he collects comics as references, so I went to the first comic shop I found and bought a bunch of old $1 comics..then my
interest died for some forgotten reason. Until I got a job, bought a few Aliens comics, and boom, got a full-time job at the age of 16 and started spending at least $50 on comics a week, if not
more - it became an obsession for a short while.

How many comics are in your collection approximately?
Rough count is 515, with a few doubles added on top. Continuously increasing - especially when the store I go to has their 'top floor-back issue' floor open when I have spare money to spend.

What do you like to collect?
First, I'm mainly a DC Girl. But will still buy a few Marvel issues every now and then. Anything my favourite artists have a hand in. I'm not picky, if I like the style and the rough run down of it, I
will buy the first couple of issues.

Which title/character is most found in your collection?
Easily Catwoman and Deadpool. I only found out about Deadpool mid-last year, and he has just become my 'go-to-comic' whenever I want a laugh. Catwoman has always topped my list. First
read Gotham City Sirens and now collecting her current solo comic, also looking into purchasing old 90s issues.
Great Scott!
Posted: Jan 19 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

A very warm welcome to you, BallgaggedNun (interesting name). Who is the artist you admire that pointed you toward comics?

Haha thank you, and yes, it seems to be my name for everything now. I can't quite remember as it was 4 years ago and my interest in other artists' has blossomed into quite a variety, but he was
definitely big in the industry..but that hardly narrows it, haha.
mensa isiaca
Posted: Jan 20 2013 | IP Logged

Hello Good People

I've collected on and off over the years. First of all I think it was when I was about 15, 16 and I saw comics in the newsagent and thought, I can buy these with my own money now. Got, very quickly, into Vertigo at its peek - Sandman, Shade the Changing Man, etc. Went off the boil for a few years and then starting collecting DC comics, inspired by the Bruce Timm Universe. Starting again, mainly because my curiosity has been re-ignited by my 7 year old stepson.

How many comics are in collection approximately?

Only about 30 now. I got rid of a lot many moons ago. But kept hold of a few early Black Panthers and just the odd thing I've found here and there. A Jack Kirby 2001 Space Odyssey mag that I bought for about 20p being a fave.

At the moment, Spider-man. I'm looking to collect marvel stuff from the sixties and seventies. But mainly reprints to save on the bank balance. Thinking about seriously collecting the Doom Patrol though. Original series of course...

Thanks for listening....
Icarus27k
Posted: Jan 21 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

I've collected comics at various times since I was a kid and recently got back into it in a major way. Recently what got me back into it was a combination of the Arkham-verse Batman games and the launch of New 52. I feel lucky I came back when I did because Marvel and Valiant are doing their own relauches.

I got about 350 books at this writing.

Many different titles make up that 350. I know I got a lot of Action Comics, Superboy (Conner Kent), Nightwing, Deadpool, and Teen Titans.
danimalxiii
Posted: Jan 21 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

A warm welcome to all!

Well I got into the comics universe thanks to my dad watching old batman movies/shows and other cartoons based on comic books (awesome
childhood memories). When I was a kid about 11 or 12 I found some old comics in my grandmothers house that belonged to my uncle that had passed
a few years earlier. I read those and was instantly hooked, anytime I had money I would buy a comic or beg my parents to. Then when I got to
college I was able to really start collecting, a tiny dorm room isn't the best environment for a growing comic book collection as my roommate
pointed out.

...I guess about 800 - 1000. Still updating mystash and always buying comics.

I'm a DC fangirl, the only real marvel things I pick up are Captain America, Luke Cage related issues, and Ironfist issues.

Batman (huge fan), Booster Gold, Blue Beetle, Green Lantern, Flash, Luke Cage. But I'm always learning about new characters that I may want to
start reading.
AeternaNox
Posted: Jan 26 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

So, now that I'm a few conversations in, I might as well get around to introducing myself proper. I'm a compulsive collector of whatever I'm obsessed with at the moment, but through it all, comics are the one thing I come back to after every foray into other waters. I'm not good at talking about myself without prompting, so I'm just going to skip to the Q&A part.

Got addicted to 'SQUEE!' when I was about 13. I really didn't know that there was anything beyond men-in-tights at that point, and I just wasn't into the superheros after I turned about... well, I guess I was 8 when I realized every episode of Power Rangers was the same and that's what killed the rest for me.

Probably about 350. I don't count Manga as comics, and there's a short list of those series that I collect, plus there are some graphic novels I've picked up along the way, so that's where the extra 30some in the stash come from.

I'm a fan of dark stories (Thanks to SQUEE! and JTHM being my intro to the world) and stuff heavy on the fantasy/mythological themes. I've been fascinated by the ways that mythology and religion from different times and cultures always seem to have some overlap. I started researching, well, anything along those lines that I could find when I was about 10, so I guess that's where my taste in the comics come from.

I just recently got back to collecting after the Horrific Room-mate Incident of 2011. (It's probably JUST as bad as you think.) Right now, my horde is very Top-Cow heavy; I love the Witchblade series but find myself wanting to know everything about ALL the artifacts, so there's a few other titles working their way into there. I have also found that I keep loading the longboxes with the Gaiman-inspired DC/Vertigo mini series (Books of Fae, Death, Etc.) and I've accumulated a decent stock of the Books of Magic series.

Willy West
Posted: Jan 28 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

How did you start collecting
Ive always had an interest in comic book and ive always wanted to collect something everything i wanted to collect was to exspensive for a allowance every week budget watches coins a bunch of crap then i
went onto my comic shop.com and found the value packs 20 comics for 8 dollars i was like well alrighty then bought them last summer and didnt really read them till i pu them on display than i figured out
about a comic store near me was like oh yeah and went on a shopping spree i used to before i collected comics play the batman games had 2 action figures u know i wasnt really into it but now i really love it
and im glad i found a cheaperish collection that i love!
How many are in ur collection
well i can only afford so much so about 79 which is fine by me!!! Not including manga and graphice novels.
What do u like to collect
i mostly like to collect dc more than marvel haha idk why i just find it more intresting batman and flash thats the stuff luv it an occasional star trek or star wars even some silver surfer but i really love dc so
much!
What title or charectar is most found in your collection
probs batman got like 6 action figures still growing and like 30ish books 2 video games and a few posters lol i really lovvve batman i got an older cat women figure older robin the joker batman so mr freeze u
know i think all the charectars are so intresting no just like oh hey imma a bad guy and im gonna kill u their so incredibly ellaborate i absoulutely love it!

My Public Stash

Started collecting when my grandma would take me to antique stores that had a variety of comics, when I was about 9 or

Right around 300.

I have about an equal mix of Marvel and DC, I try not to discriminate. Some of the current offerings by Dark Horse and
Image are starting to make a mark as well.

Character wise Batman. Title wise X-Factor.
serah53000
Posted: Jan 30 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I'm very new to all this and only started last summer. I had a few graphic novels and used to read a lot of manga back in high school, so this was kind of a natural direction for me. It all started with me
really getting into Deadpool, then I kind of just expanded out from there.

So far, a little over 350. But it increases every Wednesday. :)

So far a lot of Marvel stuff and random other things. I'm always looking for new stuff to read, so I keep a really open mind.

Definitely Deadpool. :D I love him!
Comicfanman
Posted: Feb 16 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

hobby as a kid with dad and brother back in the 70s

I could open a store

stopped collecting sue to a complete room full of comics and collectibles and have no more room

Spider-man and Superman

Russ
Z0rn
Posted: Mar 1 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hey everyone, I am new to StashMyComics... I have been collecting again for about two years now. I originally started about 26 years ago. I read a steady diet of Punisher, Batman and Spider-Man for the most part. I still have most of my original Eastman and Laird TMNT, Transformers (marvel) and a good majority of my original collection.

I mainly collect variants now. Mostly DC new 52 and any other Batman title worth checking out.

Thought I would say hi and introduce myself.

Jay

Edited by Z0rn - 01 March 2013 at 4:29am

winston81
Posted: Mar 1 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hello fellow Collectors! I have been using this amazing site for a while now, and it is hands down the best comic database software
available...and free to boot! I have been a "silent collector",meaning that I have been keeping my hobby mostly to myself.

I started when I was maybe 12 years old, around the inception of Image comics in the 90's. I am now 32, and picked collecting back up around a
year and a half ago.

All of my childhood collection was destroyed, and I have built back up to around 3000 books over the last 2 years or so.

Everything, but I like signed copies and CGC books, they feel like special prizes!

I LOVE Savage Dragon, and Spiderman. I have a ton of 90's Image books (I know,I know)
Great Scott!
Posted: Mar 4 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Welcome to the Forums

Growing up i started collecting comics when i was 7yrs old. mainly Batman, and spider man. when i was 14 my mother accidentally through away my stash while cleaning my room ... I stopped collecting for about 5yrs. Presently I'm collecting Batman comics again trying to buy my childhood back. lol I've become extremely obsessed with Deadpool, cable, and the hole marvel civil war comics. Although i started my collection again its not as easy as it was when i was 7. Know I'm more aware of the price and the quality of the comics more that i ever was.
nike13
Posted: Mar 6 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hello, I've been on the site for a few months now and am finally beginning to foray into the forums.

First started reading in my early teens cause I really liked superheros. My mom thought any reading is good reading and decided
that as long as I did good in school and since the comic book store was two doors down from my ballet class that she would allow a
weekly trip after ballet. Unfortunately, the store moved to another town and my allowance began going to manga so I stopped until
about 6 months ago when my husband suggested we check out what's available since DC wasn't too far into their New 52 series.
258 - I'm a bit of a spreadsheet addict so the list stays very up to date
Bat-family and X-Men
Uncanny X-Men, mostly because that's what I collected all those years ago. Also have all of SuperGirl's current run and Birds of
Prey.
hero24awc
Posted: Mar 10 2013 | IP Logged

How did you start?

About 11 years old. Kids at school had comic books and that interested me. I asked my mother to take me to the local, and only, comic shop. She was very apprehensive about letting me get into comics until she picked up a few and realized that there was more well written dialogue than she expected. She wound up encouraging the hobby and would take me to the comic shop every week. This was sometime in 1989.

How many comics in collection?

Getting close to 700 currently...

Wolverine solo runs, Wolverine key issues, X-men key issues and important storylines.

Which title/character most found in collection?

Wolverine solo and X-men comics, plus key bronze and copper age issues that focus on Wolverine and X-men.
darthmaul2_98
Posted: Mar 24 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hi all, I have just gotten back into reading/collecting comics. Having a blast reading new and older stuff I was not aware of before. To answer the question that started this thread...

So how did you start collecting? Reading my uncles comics as a child got me into reading and collecting.

How many comics are in collection approximately? Just about 2000 comics now in my collection.

What do you like to collect? I like to collect a little bit of everything. Superheroes, real life, indies...

Which title/character is most found in your collection? Green Lantern my all-time favorite
monkeyboy41

I started collecting right after DC launched their New 52. I had always liked comics, but it hadn't been till my best friend took me to one of his favorite stores that I really started to get into it. It was so overwhelming at first. One of the clerks helped me out by narrowing down stuff that I liked and introduced me to Preacher. Of course i started out with the trade then wound up branching out from there. Now this hobby has grown tremendously and recently I have had to cut back in some areas due to finances plus some of the series I started are just not keeping me wanting to read more.

I am almost in the 900 range.

I do collect an assorted array of comic styles. I focus on artwork first then story. Unfortunately there have been some great stories but god awful artwork. Probably the least found style of comic books that I collect would be the space oriented ones. I like my westerns, action, and detective style comics the most.

Jonah Hex and Batman would be the most found character in my collection. But mostly I try to collect an array of characters equally due the the expansion of their universes.
bjc1976

My Public Stash

I started collecting after free comic book day last year. The stories and art is what got me, plus was always a big Batman fan.

I got about 82 comics in my collection, small but is growing. I got 10 to 12 titles on my pull list at my local comic book shop.

In my collection I have got a lot of Batman titles in my collection.

So far I am collecting Batman , Batman & Robin, Detective comics, Batgirl, Nightwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws, The All New X-Men, The Uncanny X-Men, The Superior Spider Man. Justice League , Justice League of America , Vibe and Age of Ultron.
Luciano24
Posted: Apr 2 2013 | IP Logged

I started collecting when I was about 12. I started reading spider-man, and when i got to high school Spawn had just came out. I was a huge Venom fan at the time and McFarlane was my favorite artist. I would say I got into cause of my love to draw, that eventually went to computer graphics. I have not drew in probably 10 years. When i was in High School my dad used to help the High School softball team and I would walk down to the comic shop every day and pick up some comics. I am back now basically cause the death of peter parker got me back. Plus my son seems to like collecting too.

I would say in good shape from my new collection about 30. My old collection I did not take care of and was read and re-read about 150

I like to collect Spider-Man and Spawn. Working on the whole series of Spawn (1992). I have also thought of getting some CGC copies of older comics that have sentimental value from my childhood ie ASM 300, Spawn 1, Superman 75, ASM 361.

Spawn, Spider-Man, X-Men, Superman, Batman
Gundragon
Posted: Apr 26 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hello everyone,
My name is Gary and I am a recovering addict...of comic books...I had started collecting them back in the 80's after my father passed away and had mostly Captain America, Spider-Man and the Hulk. I had them stored at my mother house while I went into the Army and kept collecting them while I served. I had moved from Washington D.C. and had placed the comics I had in a storage facility provided by the military and then when it was time for me to get out of the Army they did not send my stored items in time to me to have them shipped home. They ended up keeping all of my books. When I got home, I found that the comics I had stored as a kid were destroyed by my little brothers and sister and so I stopped collecting them. My best friend later on gave me several issues and I had put them aside and never touched them after that, but then one day I was going through items to put in a garage sale and found the books...My wife wanted to sell them and I told her I would not since they mean something to me. Later, my wife and I seperated and I happen to be in the local comic shop talking to a couple friends there and they introcuced me to a series that was running (Age of Ultron) They all knew I am a Marvel fan and have always been so suggested I read it. I was hooked and from there it has progressed to Superior Spider-Man and Thor: The Thunder God. I am looking at Indestructable Hulk right now and a few others, but am also wanting to find the rest of the runs that my buddy gave me as well. I have a friend that uses this site and he suggested I look on it and so, here I am. A happy man collecting his favorite heroes and villians again. Thank you for providing us with this great site where geeks can relive the heroes of the past and the heroes of the future!
-Gary
John Keyt

Good afternoon every one . I just got back into collecting a few years ago. Started back in the 1970 to the 80's then
stopped collecting . Had a family, life and all that stuff . Kids grew up ,(to fast) it seems now I got some free time
wandered into a comic store and got the bug again . Decided to finish off my iron man and conan sets I use to collect . Wow
a lot of iron man been published since then . But recently finished those . Went to a show in Calgary last year what a eye
opener . Decide to do it again tomorrow . Going to see if I can get Neil Adams to sign a couple of my Atlas (iron jaw )
from 1975 . Its kinda nice this comic group of people I gotten to know . Really enjoying reading and collecting and just
getting out , seeing and meeting new people . Well thanks everyone , John out .
John Keyt

Good afternoon every one . I just got back into collecting a few years ago. Started back in the 1970 to the 80's then
stopped collecting . Had a family, life and all that stuff . Kids grew up ,(to fast) it seems now I got some free time
wandered into a comic store and got the bug again . Decided to finish off my iron man and conan sets I use to collect . Wow
a lot of iron man been published since then . But recently finished those . Went to a show in Calgary last year what a eye
opener . Decide to do it again tomorrow . Going to see if I can get Neil Adams to sign a couple of my Atlas (iron jaw )
from 1975 . Its kinda nice this comic group of people I gotten to know . Really enjoying reading and collecting and just
getting out , seeing and meeting new people . My collection just past the 4500 mark , hope to level off soon . Well thanks
every one . John out
eeweathers
Posted: May 7 2013 | IP Logged

The 90s was a great time for a boy like me. X-men, Batman, and Spider-Man animated series got me into collecting comics. I started with X-Men #1 and collected for a couple
years. Stopped for some reason, until sophomore year of highschool when I picked-up x-men 99... It started all over again.

Maybe 200-300

Specific artists work, not story/characters/titles (unless it's old war comics). It started with Jim Lee, but after x-men 99 it branched out to Brett Booth, Tom Raney. Now
days I collect Tony Moore, Ryan Ottley, Doug TenNapel and some of my fellow indie creators like Johnathan Rector and Canaan White.

Walking Dead 100 cover by Ryan Ottely
Gold signature limited edition of Fantastic Four #1 (heroes reborn)
All my own work. Hey, I made it, I can favor it, right? (Flying Fortress)

Posted: May 20 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

How did you start collecting?
Loved the old animated Spidey and Batman (Adam West) was I was really young and really got into X-Men because of the Fox cartoon in the early 90's. From there I started buying X-Men comics (would have been during Andy Kubert's run) and
Wolverine (Adam Kubert) and toys.

How many comics in your collection approximately?
Probably over 1000. This site will help with the total once I'm done cataloging them all!

Any X-title / mutant book (Uncanny X-Men primarily, X-Men, X-Force, New Mutants, etc), Justice League, Batman, and probably Superman Unchained for a while once it launches. The wife collects The Walking Dead so I'll be reading those too.
Any X-Men / mutant action figures (old Toy Biz line, newer Toy Biz and Hasbro Marvel Legends lines).
Sketches of X-Men from my favourite artists. Any autograph from the greats (e.g. I now have Stan Lee's on X-Men #4 from 1963).

Uncanny X-Men for the title, and probably Wolverine for the character because Marvel can't seem to ease up on him. Wolverine was my favourite until he was over-used, now it's hard to say - I love the Beast, Archangel, Psylocke, and so many more!

Edited by static0verdrive - 20 May 2013 at 7:03pm

Greetings from California, all!

How did you start collecting?
I don't really consider myself a collector; I prefer to describe myself as a reader.
Does that sound pretentious?
I honestly hope it does not.
I started reading in 1973; my first issue was Amazing Spider-Man 121.
I have been a Spidey fan ever since.

How many comics in your collection approximately?
There are several thousand comics in my collection with complete runs dating back to 1984.
I have never actually counted them, but this wonderful website will assist me in that endeavor.

I am an English professor by trade; as such, I can afford quite a stash every month.
I currently read every title put out by both Marvel and DC as well as numerous independents.

Given that I collect every title under the sun, every major character/title is well represented.

I look forward to chatting with all of you.

Peace,
Andrew

Even while alive. . .
danimalxiii
Posted: May 28 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Welcome to the forums guys!

My Public Stash

By way of introduction...

Well I started reading comics off the spinner racks sometime around 1974 or so. One of the earliest comics I remember was Batman
#250.My intro to comics though came from seeing super-heroes on TV (syndicated Adam West Batman, Superfriends, Spider-Man on Electric
Company, syndicated George Reeves Adventures of Superman, etc.)and in View Master reels, and reading the Sunday funnies with my dad
(he liked Tarzan and the Phantom, I dug those plus Peanuts, Hagar the Horrible and BC). The earliest comics I was given were humor
books and stuff related to Saturday morning cartoons (I distinctly remember some Hair Bear Bunch, Scooby Doo, Speed Buggy and Hong
Kong Phooey comics in there, as well as paperback collections of newspaper strips like Beetle Bailey and stuff like Sad Sack that my
parents had around the house and I devoured). Through the 70's I spent my allowance on comics and Mego figures, until my parents
decided I had had enough, but came back to comics when I started earning my own money in high school.

I discovered back issues at a flea market and a mini convention inside the mall where I lived, and discovered my first comic shop in
1984. For me it is about the hunt and the read, not so much the collection, but looking through old and new comics for things that
catch my interest, and the actual reading of them. My collection bug is more for ancillary stuff (posters, original art/convention
sketches, action figures, etc.) but I try to limit the scope of what I get to what I can sanely display.

Currently probably about 8K, with somewhere between 150-200 trades as well. I topped out at about 15K in the late 90's early 2000's
but sold off the majority of them when I moved to Ohio form New England including long runs of almost every Marvel series.

These days I collect sword and sorcery comics, kung fu comics, Bronze age DC and certain Bronze Marvel rarities, Joe Kubert covers,
Jack Kirby's post Fourth World books, Mike Mignola, Barry Windsor Smith, Frank Brunner, Frank Frazetta, Jim Starlin and George Perez
stuff, and appearances/series from my personal pantheon of favorite characters (Dr. Strange, Bloodstone, Spectre, Phantom Stranger,
Dr. Fate, Zatanna, Madame Xanadu, Hawkman, Hawkgirl, Atom, Martian Manhunter, Darkseid, Thanos, Robert E. Howard characters, Warlord).
I also follow some current stuff, a chunk of indies, about a dozen Marvel books, and a handful of DC stuff.

I also like to hunt through dollar and quarter bins looking for fun reads that I might not have otherwise tried.

Most likely Conan (and other related Robert E. Howard characters like Kull, Solomon Kane and even Red Sonja), but before I sold off
most of my Marvel runs, it would have been Avengers. Spectre and Dr. Strange are probably a close second/third to Conan currently. I
did recently finish off runs of Master of Kung Fu and Power Man and Iron Fist, so there are quite a few of those in there now as well.

-M

Page of 9
Next Post Reply