Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » introduce yourself and talk collecting
BiggEJohnson23
Posted: Jun 23 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I got into comics fairly recently, I'm not sure exactly how or when but I know that the Punisher is the first character I put a collection together of. I know the first comic I bought was Sensational Spider-Man #13 when I was 6-7 but didn't get into it until I was 20-21. I have always liked them, I read all the TinTin books when I was younger, in both english and french, and a few other comic strips like Asterix and so on. My friends are huge comic book nerds and so in the last few years it's definitely taken hold of me too. We get together most wednesdays to check what came out and buy new and back issue books and then chill out and read. We lend titles back and forth as well, my buddy just gave me Old Man Logan to read. I'd have to say the book that started me off on collecting was Welcome Back, Frank by Garth Ennis, I picked it up because I was a huge fan of the movie and they based it on characters in the book.

I don't have a whole lot of books in my collection, only 71, but a lot of them are TPBs so it's closer to over 150.

I collect a lot of different stuff, crime & mystery stuff shows up a lot in my collection, as well as supernatural & occult type stuff. It's a by-product of my own tastes and that of my girlfriend which touch a rather broad spectrum of interests. I tend to shy away from super powered titles because of the hundreds of different realities and deaths/rebirths and generally murky atmosphere of trying to stay current with the universes that the respective companies have. Trying to go back and find the original story arc and origin and lifespan of a character can be so confusing I tend to stick to a particular title and a particular author and only stray from that briefly or if it seems to run the same course as my main title and once they diverge I stop.

Frank Castle is definitely the #1 guy in my collection. When Marvel started their MAX publication and handed the Punisher to Garth Ennis with the freedom of an 18+ rating they did the right thing and Frank finally got the treatment he deserved. As a result I collected Ennis' entire MAX run with the Punisher as my primary jumping on point to comics. I'm also a big TMNT fan so I've been collecting the new IDW series, but my number 2 guy right now is Wolverine. I've got the whole MAX title so far, as well as the first 4 Weapon X issues and a bunch of The Best There Is. After that it really becomes a diverse mix of all sorts of stuff, Neil Gaiman's Sandman, The Vinyl Underground, Mysterious The Unfathomable, Mystery Society, Assassin's Creed, Serenity, The Guild, Aliens, Venom, Transformers, Spawn, The Mice Templar... Like I said, I'm not much for super powery titles but I am a Marvel guy at heart and I grew up on the X-Men cartoon so I do pick up Wolverine titles to check them out, fortunately they've been really good lately, I also want to check out Gambit's solo title.

The Walking Dead is on my list of things to get as well as The Elephantmen, maybe Judge Dredd's new series and Wild Blue Yonder.
Bump1
Posted: Jun 25 2013 | IP Logged

So how did you start collecting?
My older brother got me into comics by letting me read his stuff

How many comics are in collection approximately?
Not that many. But I read alot of my brother's stuff

What do you like to collect?
Batman. and anything in the Bat-Family

Which title/character is most found in your collection?
Batman. or Nightwing.
CapJsa3945
Posted: Jul 16 2013 | IP Logged

Started as kid because of the 90's Spider-man cartoon episode with Captain America, then stopped cause local comic shop closed, but started up again about year and half
ago when Hastings started selling back issues.

Between 580-620

Anything from the big two that deals with their golden age characters, and any good team books or crossover events.

Captain America,Justice Society of America(all volumes),Starman,and Daredevil
Decimator
Posted: Jul 18 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I guess i've always had an interest in comics, growing up with the 90's cartoon's and games, but it wasn't until i got myself employment and had a steady income did i start buying comics. I started collecting about 2 years ago.

I currently have just over 2,000 issues, and i think i have everything catalogued on this site.

Anything really my favourite superhero characters/teams comics as well as non-superhero comics, i'm not tied down to specific genre's though, if a book is really good i'll keep collecting much like The Walking Dead (this includes picking up whatever variants i can get).
I don't collect specific time periods but the majority is modern age comics and i generally on get back issues on comics i really want to read or the TPB are a pain to find e.g. Excalibur

My favourite characters being Nightcrawler, Gambit, Moon Knight and Batman i guess those are the titles i've actively collected and will appear most in their own solo comics.
triplejaysus
Posted: Jul 24 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I started as a kid in Ireland, reading 2000AD. i collected that and other british comics till I left school at 18.
Then just over 2 years ago I ventured in to Kings Comics here in Sydney, Australia.
I was lucky enough that this visit coincided with the #1 on American Vampire.
I was hooked.

Almost 800 single issues, and growing by about 4 a week.

batman and detective comics originally, but now almost everything I read is from Image.

Which title/character is most found in your collection?So how did you start collecting?
Batman. When Scott Snyder started writing detective comics I jumped on, and then I went back to pick up Rucka's batwoman.
~#12~
Posted: Jul 29 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Comic books have been a part of my life for as long as I can remember. My great-grandfather had a red "bucket" (probably actually a trash can) filled with Dell, Charlton, Gold Key & Classics Illustrated comics and as a child I read them over and over.

Among the many things that attracted me to this site is that it will count them for me as I "stash" them. I have only just gotten started and my total is already at 2692 (although I just purchased another 160 at a convention on Sunday). I would love to be able to answer this question, although I fear it may be some time until I can catch up to myself!

Comic books. I love them all! I tend to be a completist and enjoy the hunt to piece together a complete run of comics that I enjoy. I'm also always on the lookout to replace comics from my childhood that are no longer with me. I love the feeling of joy in rediscovering a "lost treasure."

Batman is my favorite with The Avengers a close second.
danimalxiii
Posted: Jul 30 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Welcome to SMC new people!!

My Public Stash

Holy Smack Batman!!!

I almost have all of my stash entered and this is where I stand.
14,103 comics
value ??? I am not a grader by any sort so I only have listed in top condition.

I know I have a lot of comics not listed on the site, including many numerous special signed or sketch comics.

Here is to collecting!!! By the way I am looking to sell all of my collection soon.
brown7683
Posted: Aug 11 2013 | IP Logged

I started a little over a year ago and have collected off and on for past year or so. I read a little when I was younger but now I all grown up and decieded to start a new hobby so I got back into comics.

Have no idea I would say around 50-75 I have had to quit for many reasons finacial, personal and so forth. But I hoping to get back full speed now.

Right now I am staying caught up with only 1 comic and that has been X-O manowar i just love that book. I am switching from going to LCS 30 miles away where they kept messing up my pull list to going to dcbs. I plan to follow Unity once it starts, Manowar, Batman, Scarlet Spider and Green Arrow. I am going to look at some others but those are for sure I have enjoyed all them so far.

Would have to say Manowar I think I have ever issue but 4 or 5 and hope one day to get all those also.
almostkinda
Posted: Aug 12 2013 | IP Logged

Heard a podcast with a writer from Deadpool... It got me interested now I'm a very large fan of his :)

Just Deadpool

Deadpool

Edited by almostkinda - 12 August 2013 at 12:59am

wmslim

My Public Stash

Watching the X-Men, Batman, and Spider-Man cartoons from the early 90's with friends. One of those friends then got me into collecting.

About 8000. Less than what my public stash says because I've been filtering a bunch of them out lately. Getting rid of doubles and the stuff I didn't want (but took
anyways) when I would buy other people's collections.

Mostly X-Men and Batman titles out of habit after 20 years of collecting. Outside of those I collect mostly Marvel stuff. I'll still collect a title if I'm enjoying the
story and the art isn't something I care for but not the other way around.

Wolverine. Colossus is actually my all time favorite character though.
S-Man-X-Men6

My Public Stash

I had seen some Spider-Man cartoons (90s and Amazing Friends), so I already had a love of superheroes when I was a kid. My grandparents got me a couple Spider-Man comics back when the first Spidey movie came out (Spider-Man: Funeral for an Octopus 1-3 and a Marvel Tales with Dazzler). I really liked them and my grandparents got me a couple dozen more (mostly back issues). I stopped reading them from the end of elementary school till sophomore year in high school, not really sure why. Then one day in January of 2010, my grandparents gave me a couple TPBs of Spider-Man. All of a sudden my love for comics was restarted, and this time with a bang. There's a small comic store in my town, but I had never been there. I went the next month, and ended up going back again, and again, and again. I was hooked. Eventually I started ordering some current series, and by 2011 I was getting about 5, and by 2012 it was close to a dozen, which it still is (It's hard trying to limit myself to only so many, but I'm always tight for money). My grandparents continue to help me hunt down older comics, and sometimes a new issue that I miss.

Roughly 1,000. Almost 800 on here as of right now.

I get almost anything and everything Spider-Man. My goal is to one day own all of Amazing, Spectacular (have #1), Web of (have #1), and Spider-Man (have #1), although I doubt I'll be able to ever get the early Amazings. I'm also kinda big on some X-Men, but it's mostly just Marvel in general. Probably at least 90% of my comics are Marvels. I've been getting a little interested in some other companies too, lately.

Spider-Man easily, it's close to about half of them. Close to 200 of Amazing.

Edited by S-Man-X-Men6 - 12 August 2013 at 8:42pm

livinlodovicoloca
Posted: Aug 14 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

When I was a wee lad around 8-10 years old I went into my local 7-11 and started purchasing comics from the newsstand regularly with my allowance. I have been collecting with varying degrees of frequency ever since and I've never grown up enough to give them up.

How many comics are in your collection approximately?

Probably a little under 10,000. I have boxes and boxes. They are back home under the stewardship of my mom and brother because they were just too much of a burden to make a 1500 mile move with. Part of the reason I'm on here is to get that exact number! Tragically, I lost a couple longboxes when my dad didn't pay a storage unit's bill. :(

My first love was Spider-Man and that remains to this day. I have a goal of one day having a complete collection of Amazing Spider-Man, first volume. My collection definitely is weighted towards Marvel but in later years that evened out more with DC's offerings. I know have at least a sampling (storyline or two) of many of the major heroes in both universes that have maintained an ongoing series for several decades. Lots if Image in those teenage years as well. I remember the excitement around the beginning of Image and have a lot of the beginnings of those first series. In even later years, right after high school, I started getting more into the mature offerings of the Big Two, such as Vertigo. Also, Dark Horse, Fantagraphics, etc. More independent type stuff. I've never given up on superheroes though!

Definitely you friendly neighborhood Spider-Man.
BenClarke
Posted: Aug 22 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I found one of my dad's comics that was being thrown out. Decided to save it and the collection grew from there.

About 500

Mostly Marvel and recently Image stuff. occasionally branch out and pick up some DC, Valiant and IDW Stuff

I think it's either Avengers or Fantastic Four stuff
prmudd
Posted: Nov 3 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I should have read the forums better to start so I moved this here.
Just wanted to say HI.

I just found this site and really like the ability to list all my comics. I tired to do this back in the 90's and was just to cumbersome.
Thanks for making it easy. Just going to take me a bit of time to get all my books listed.

I don't really collect anymore but since going thru the books listing its making really want to sit a read some and then see if anything new out there is good to read.

A friend of mine showed me some comics and at the time I was all into Star Wars and the old Marvel Star Wars got me hooked. I guess it was around 1978.
I am thinking around 10,000 and just started listing them on here. I am sure I will find out soon.
At first it was Star Wars and then it grew to a ton of Marvel titles. Xmen Fantastic Four Spiderman and ROM.
All the X titles
darthgoose
Posted: Nov 7 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

i started reading the beano when i was young. when i was about 15 a friend sold me a copy of aliens vs predator part 3
and it left me with 2 questions what happened before and whats next. i went to my local comic shop and found the death of
superman and that was it i was hooked.

around 3000

when i first started it was mostly Dc comics and then i moved more towards marvel. now its anything i like the look of.

It would have to be x-men but my favorite is wolverine
MattSirrell
Posted: Nov 7 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I was going on a long bus trip and I saw 2000AD on the shelf in the local shop, so I picked it up and i've been hooked on comic books ever since.

Around 100 at the moment.

2000AD and anything that tickles my fancy.

Judge Dredd, Harry Absalom, Deadpool and Frankenstein (From the Agents of S.H.A.D.E)

Nudeviking
Posted: Nov 9 2013 | IP Logged

My mom bought me a Robotech comic at the supermarket back in the early 80s. Started from there.

A couple thousand probably.

Mostly Marvel stuff.

I was really into the X-Men and all there variants in the 90s, so I probably have the most of those.
Elysiun
Posted: Nov 30 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I was big into video games as a kid, and that sort of worked as a bridge into comics. I started collecting Archie's Sonic the Hedgehog in the late 90s and when I got into High School in the early 2000s, I began collecting X-men. After buying Marvel books for a few years I took a break from collecting and then a few years ago and began buying again with a mix of Marvel and DC, but eventually dropped my Marvel titles and began buying exclusively DC until about a year and a half ago when my local comic shop closed. I've recently wanted to start buying comics again and am looking to start picking up books somewhere again.

According to SMC, I have 385 books.

Mostly cape and cowl stuff, occasionally I'll grab other books if something piques my interest.

X-men is what I have the most of from Marvel and Booster Gold is what I have the most of from DC.
Great Scott!
Posted: Dec 2 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Welcome to SMC!

My Public Stash

My name's Anthony, and I'm an addict.
Kidding.
I only have about 150 comics. Almost all of them are listed in my stash. One day when I was in elementary school, I was at a flea market, and I saw a few
comics for 50 cents a piece. I picked them up for fun. Then I decided to pick them up as I came across them. I didn't really start looking for them until
high school. About once a year, I drop a few dollars on a website so I can pick up some comics I know that I want.
I really enjoy villain comics (i.e. Venom, Carnage, and The Joker). I, of course, love the comics books they based off of my life, Superman. He and
Batman have been favorites since I was really really young. I was Batman for Halloween when I was like five. I love the Beowulf and Green Beret comics
too. Oh and Red Mask. Nothing like a cowboy hero.
Anyway, I would love to grow my collection some more, and now that I am in the world on my own and making a little extra cash, I plan on doing so. If
anybody knows of any great deals, let me know.
ipinteus
Posted: Dec 31 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hi! Ivo here!

30, separated, father of a 3 year old, Portuguese, zigzagging the thin line between freelance translation services and non-funded unemployment,
lifelong consumer of geek miscellanea, avid collector of comics / music albums / RPG books / videogames / fantasy & sci-fi novels / DVD movies, of
Chaotic Neutral tendencies, scourge of the stereotypical humourless nerd. Not necessarily in that order.

I found this site randomly but it is the best yet for keeping an online comic list. Great job - Clap clap clap!
I'm hoping to use My Stash to trade some of my many unwanted comics for comics I do want, which is pretty expensive in Portugal because there
aren't any nationally published comics anymore. There were hundreds of regular titles in the 80's and 90's, now there's only Disney. So I have to buy
in bulk, to make shipping costs worth it, and often end up with plenty of stuff I don't need.

Although I really enjoy Marvel / DC standard fare, I am wise enough not to chase that dragon... errrr.... by which I mean collect them. The stuff I look
out for is short series and one-shots, anything above the dozen issues or so I prefer in TPB anyway. I also enjoy eurocomics, not all but most. As for
genres, fantasy and sci-fi are personal faves, but I digest very well the occasional dark cynic hero or a certain comedic weirdness. The purely graphical
is not my cuppa, though. I have bought a several hundred strong Image comics collection, only to find out that I plain don't like their derivative thin
plots where eye-candy and fan-service seems to be the single motivation to keep turning pages.

....so that's who. Anyone interested in trading, especially around Europe, hit me up. Cheers!
solodare
Posted: Jan 28 2014 | IP Logged

a friend turned me on to them about 23 years ago, I collected what ever jumped out at me in the flea market bins i could aford. lost my short box collection a year
later(TEENAGE CRAP) and gave up on trying to start over until about 3 weeks ago.

I wanted to get back on board when the new 52 started but that didn't happen. So that's kinda what I'm doing now. trying to catch up on all those back issues.

Superman
Pabst
Posted: Feb 7 2014 | IP Logged

I just looked up Marvel's website at random and saw they were starting a new series, Indestructible Hulk, and being a huge Hulk fan I decided I wanted to get it from the start and have every issue. I've been into comics but never collected until then.

almost 400

Mostly Marvel right now. Most genres except westerns.

It's an even mix of different characters. I have my favorites but I like to keep my pull list diversified.
DirtyCircle
Posted: Feb 8 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Less than six months ago, I decided that I needed a hobby to preoccupy myself while trying to deal with my depression and since I have always loved comic books, I decided that nothing would be better than to start collecting. I owned a bunch of comic before but have lost most of them or whatnot since it wasn't proper comic collecting. So... what's better than getting into something I have always loved?

I wouldn't normally include TPBs or manga but SMC has me listed at 504, though that does not include a bunch of duplicates (Post Crisis Supes) that I would love to sell or trade.... someday.

I decided that the major character/project I would focus was Superman (anything I could get my hands on.) However, I just love finding comics that I think are a little weird or something that strikes my fancy in some way. I'm looking towards someday starting to collect Green Lantern, Power of Shazam, Man-Thing and a few other specific characters/titles.

Superman (244- TPBs included/more if counting duplicates)

Current Pull-List
-Tomb Raider (pre-order subscription cuz I loved that game!)
-Teen Titans Go!
-Superior Foes of Spider-Man (added when LCS sold out #7 before I could get it- still need to order it)
-Krampus!
-Hawkeye
-Trillium
-Saga
-The Royals: Masters of War

Future additions or possible additions:
-Starlight (looks intriguing)
-Ms. Marvel (picked up first issue and anxious to see how it goes...)

Edited by DirtyCircle - 13 February 2014 at 11:46am

DRU-MANIC
Posted: Feb 11 2014 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

I've been away from comics for quite some time. Years, actually. I've just recently moved to a new city and have no friends. I work night shift, so my family (wife and 2 kids) is usually asleep when I'm at home. I found a
really cool comic shop down the street and decided I'd start collecting again. So far, I'm having a blast getting back into things and rediscovering some of my favorite characters. I've got a lot of catching up to do, but I
think I'll be in it for the long haul this time. I'm really having too much fun.

Well, not many. A handful of new releases and a few TPBs. Like I said, I'm starting over from scratch, but I'll get there. In my younger days, I had several hundreds. I'll just have to build it back up--bigger, faster,
stronger!

Anything that interests me. I really dig the Punisher and Wolverine. They've always been my favorites. I also like Spawn, PITT, Batman, Superman, Dr. Doom, Joker, Iron Man. It's really just a matter of how I'm feeling
when I go to the shop.

Right now, Wolverine.
Morinphen
Posted: Feb 23 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Being an 80's child I grew up with the 90's Marvel and DC cartoons. When I was a teenager a friend and I would frequent a local flea market each week. There was one comic book seller there and we became pretty good friends with. I actually started with Johnny the Homicidal Maniac, Milk & Cheese, and Sandman. I purchase a large run of 70s Spectacular Spider-Man and Defenders from him for a really good price. Since then I have mostly been collecting bronze / silver age superhero.

Just over 2200 the last time I counted

Silver / Bronze superhero

Doctor Strange by far
John Keyt

Hello Morinphen , Welcome , fellow Doctor Strange collector , I also enjoyed reading Strange , Got Volume 1 1 to 81 annual .Volume 2 1 to 90 annuals 2 3 4 plus a few variants
and ashcan edition . Still need 72 b 50 newsstand and 75 direct non foil . classics 1 to 4 All the one shots and the marvel knight stuff flight of bones and strange . Picked up a
few defenders issues recently . Always wanted to do that set but running out of room now . Taking a bunch of Savage Sword doubles to a friend might trade for some
defenders volume 1 or Marc Spector moon knight . Just past 5000 with my last purchase now at 5216 books . P S welcome back dru-manic .
Morinphen

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Thank John.

I have been working on my Strange Tales run lately, 110 has gone through the roof since I last looked it up. I have Vol. 1 168-183 complete. Am missing about 10 from Vol 2 and a few from Vol. 3.

Do you have any of the Marvel Premiere 3-14? These works are fantastic and predate the 70s run.

I also have a near complete run of Defenders as well, stories were all great.
John Keyt
Posted: Feb 24 2014 | IP Logged

You are welcome . I do have the marvel premiere series also looking at doing strange tales vol 1 and the rest . Find a few here and there .
Prev
Page of 9
Next Post Reply