Forums » General Discussions, Intros, Site Feedback, etc » introduce yourself and talk collecting
drymike
Posted: Apr 6 2014 | IP Logged

Hello! This is my first day on the forums. I recently created an account and just found time today to get started.

So how did you start collecting?
I just recently started collecting. I have been a fan of comics for a really long time and would randomly buy issues as a kid. Every now and then I would pick         &n bsp;  
up random books that I found at flee markets or drug stores. One of my first "collected" books is a very poor condition of Secret Wars #8 that I purchased
when I was 12. I (am slightly embarrassed to admit this) got back into comics with the New 52. I've always been a Marvel fan, but never knew a good jumping
on point. It seemed like a good start. And here I am now.

How many comics are in collection approximately?
Roughly 600-625

What do you like to collect?
I purchase current runs of several Marvel, DC, Image, and Dark Horse.
I also like to search for and have a small wish list of first appearances of my personal favorites. I recently found issues of Batman #386-387, the introduction
of Black Mask.

Which title/character is most found in your collection?
   A lot of Batman.
threethirty
Posted: Apr 19 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I had always wanted to read comics but jumping in at issue #362 seemed dumb. I would never know what was going on. Then my brother told me that DC and Marvel were both doing huge reboots of the whole
universe, so I figured it was the perfect time to jump in.

I just crossed 250

DC stuff that is out of continuity (Batman '66 etc)
Marvel mostly stuff hovering around SHEILD, The Avengers, and the X-Men, but I have been branching out.
Random weird stuff from bargain bins.

Ironman and Deadpool
Madsports
Posted: May 4 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

HOW DID YOU START COLLECTING?

I was mainly into sportscards and i recently started to get into comics. So i had a chance to purchase a big collection so i did.

HOW MANY COMICS ARE IN COLLECTION APPROXIMATELY?

Well like stated above i started buy buying a collection so i have 162 long boxes

WHAT DO YOU LIKE TO COLLECT?

After taking some time going through some stuff i like the silver age super hero the best as of now

WHICH CARACTER/TITLE IS MOST FOUND IN YOUR COLLECTION?

Well as of now i have alot of everybody, thats another reason i joined here. This seems like a good sight to sort and keep inventory of what i have.

My name is Mike and im from Louisiana and look forward to dealing with some of you.
jonervin26
Posted: May 5 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

162 long boxes???!!!? Holy Crap! Man, I have like 20 and my wife wants to kill me. Enjoy it! You're bound to find lots of cool stuff as you search through all of that.

Edited by jonervin26 - 05 May 2014 at 12:09pm

bigtony
Posted: May 12 2014 | IP Logged

My dad got me my 1st comic book in 1981. I collected for years until my brother stole my collection and sold them to buy beer.

A little over 600 right now. I got the fever again so it will rise fast.

Everything, I love comics and enjoy reading them. I prefer Marvel though.

Punisher, hes my fav.
rabidcrayons13
Posted: May 16 2014 | IP Logged

I kind of got hooked on comics and superheros after playing that one Marvel game on Facebook.
So. I suppose that's an odd way to start.

Haha, my collection is itty bitty compared to some of the posts I've read. I think I'm coming up on 150ish.

Marvel only. Im super biased against DC. I have a bit of a soft spot for Epic though too.
I've got a few Daredevils, a ton of Elektras, some Nightmares and Fairytales, one issue of The Guild, quite a few Thunderbolts, and The Marvelous Land of Oz.
I've also got one issue of Cage, and a few Marvel Universe.

Elektra is my absolute favourite. I've got posters, action figures, trades, statuettes, autographed comics, and even a tattoo. Daredevil comese in second, but I've only got
issues that include Elektra. Other than that it'd be the Thunderbolt crew (with Red Hulk, Deadpool, Leader, Punisher, Venom, Mercy[not sure if she's a full series character.
Haven't gotten that far.], and Elektra.)

It's lovely to meet you all! :)
bluerosekiller
Posted: May 25 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

HOW DID YOU BEGIN COLLECTING?
No one seems to believe me now, because I'm such a voracious reader, bibliophile & collector - but, when I began grammar school in 1966, reading was a problem with me. While all the other 5 year olds in my class were eating up all those cool SALLY, DICK & JANE books - I had no interest whatsoever in them. And, though my teachers tried & tried to get me to catch up to the level of my peers, I stubbornly refused to comply.
So, at this point they began my teachers became to strongly suggest that I was developmentally challenged & putting me in "special classes" was the answer.
Which infuriated my Mom, so she decided that she was going to devote as much time as possible to teaching me how to read. And, the first thing she learned was that buying me & trying to get me interested in any of the typical children's books for kids my age was a total waste. So, she decided to think outside the box a little bit & whether it was educational or not, she'd go out & buy a grocery bag full of all sorts of different reading material that she hoped would catch my eye & hopefully my interest. And then, armed with the knowledge of what I liked, she'd go out & buy a LOT of whatever type of books I showed interest in.
Well, I realize that you all likely guessed by the first sentence of this bloody piece that comic books were going to be key. And , indeed, they were.
According to my dearly departed Mom, I was reading in sentences within a couple of weeks, within another eight weeks I had the best reading levels in the class & by the end of the school year I was actually being sent out to sit in on the first grade's lessons during reading time.
So, comic books & monster magazines became my favorites & remained so for many years to come.
But - although I always saved all the comics that were purchased for me & did a fairly decent job of taking care of them between the time I was & 10, I wasn't an actual comic collector until I was ten. That's when I sent away for this little yellow booklet/catalog thing that a dealer always had an ad for in each month's comics.
It was a little steep at fifty cents, but it promised to show me some secret information about "BIG COMIC BOOK VALUE$!". They were also going to send me a free sample of their "Super Protective" plastic bags that you put a comic in to "protect it in mint". It all sounded SO cool, I couldn't wait for it to come!
Well, the mail was awfully slow in the early '70s, but a couple of weeks later my envelope arrived & it's contents completely changed the way I looked at comics.
Instead of just a kid who happened to REALLY like reading comic books & also saved them in a big pile in my bedroom, I now considered myself a Comic Book Collector.
I immediately rearranged my big pile of comics into tidy stacks & I even put my favorite issue of ( my favorite comic book series ) AMAZING SPIDER-MAN into that sample plastic bag & had plans to send away for 100 (!) of those bags as soon as I had three dollars.
And, I made sure that that little yellow booklet was always in my pocket, because it listed SO many "top secret" values for comic books - I mean - who knew when a great deal would come along & I'd need it.
And, my parents were great at supporting my hobby.
We were only *just* in the middleclass - so, my parents didn't have a lot of money to burn on my collecting, but they   really did take care of me by driving me around various places looking for old comics, taking me to the comic shop every week to get my new comics, taking me to the occasional convention & financing me to the best of their ability. Not bad, right?
So, throughout my teens I built up a VERY nice collection. I was a Marvel Kid, so I had complete or near complete collections of ASM, THE AVENGERS, FANTASTIC FOUR, X-MEN, DAREDEVIL & many others. Plus I also had plenty of DC as well, with many older issues of WORLD'S FINEST & ADVENTURE COMICS ( that now, for the life of me, I cannot remember how I acquired as I wouldn't have purchased them because I was big on either title & besides that, they were out of my price range...   So, someone old friend of my parents may have just given them to me or I got the REALLY good end of a trade ) to go with a complete run of all of Neal Adams run on the BATMAN title, Adams great run on GREEN LANTERN/GREEN ARROW, HOUSE OF SECRETS/MYSTERY, full run of SWAMP THING & so on...
From age five to age eighteen, I'd built a 3500 hundred book collection ( NOT including all my B & Ws like CREEPY, VAMPIRELLA, TALES OF THE ZOMBIE, SAVAGE TALES, DRACULA LIVES, plus a pile of Eerie Publication's mags, several Skywalds etc. etc..
I had this wonderful collection that I think I might seriously barter a limb for now - only to piss it away at age 18 in 1980 as I prepared to begin college.
Just because college was just a week or so away & I felt as if I'd "outgrown" comics, like an utter lunatic, I decided to sell it all for the extra cash I thought I might need.
Today, If I owned the same comics, in the same condition, I'll bet I could make a deal with a good auction house & come out of the deal with a good deal more than what buying a nice house costs these days. Instead, back then, because I just wanted cash fast, I didn't even get a thousand dollars for it.
And, to make matters worst, it was a deal that I regretted almost immediately. I even went back to the dealer's shop to inquire about giving him every dime back    so I could get my collection back, but - of course - he just laughed at me.
I was left with such a bitter pill taste in my mouth about comic books that I could barely even LOOK at a comic book for years! Literally.
Honestly, it wasn't until 30 years later in 2010 when I was reading a FANGORIA magazine & saw an advertisement about Darkhorse Comics publishing a new version of CREEPY. Which, piqued my curiosity enough to take a quick drive over to LCS. And - once inside of it, I became pretty much overwhelmed    just by how many comics there were on the "New" shelves.    While I found my copy of the new CREEPY #1 very early on, I didn't say "good enough" & go off to read it, nope. I spent the next hour or so building up a big pile of books. And, without even realizing it until I made myself home, after three long decades, I was a comic book collector again.

TO BE CONTINUED WITH THE FOLLOW UP QUESTIONS...

Jim         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;         &nb sp;     

My Public Stash

I've always been a fan of super heroes. As a little kid I would wear my Batman and Spider-Man shirts. Growing up Spider-Man was my idol. I loved him. I woke up early in the
morning to catch his cartoons and on the playground when we played make-believe I was always Spider-Man. It wasn't until the age of ten I started to read comics. At that
age new neighbors moved in and they had a huge collection spanning around 10+ long boxes. I lived very close to a comic book store and this store had a huge selection of
dollar bin items and huge discounts for the more you buy. I've dabbled in almost everything thanks to those dollar bins.

I have around 950 comics.

I’m a huge Marvel fan. The first series I started to like (other than Spider-Man) was Fantastic Four. Then I discovered X-men. For the past few years I've been obsessed with
X-men. Outside of Marvel I like Darkhorse's Buffy the Vampire Slayer line and recently got into the Flash.

My favorite characters have varied over the years. They've included Invisible Woman, Rogue, Black Widow, Gambit, Magneto, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Daredevil and Silver
Surfer. I have lots of issues from the various Gambit, Hawkeye, and Silver Surfer spin-offs. I also have tons of Rogue central issues from the various X-titles. I'm going to
say my most collected character would be Gambit.
Frosteecat
Posted: May 29 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Oh, bluesrosekiller, I just knew that was going to be a tragedy.

Your folks, especially your mother, sound like really great parents!!

And for the guy in LA with 162 LONG BOXES...HOLY CRAP.

So how did you start collecting
I really just had a few laying around from my childhood. My Dad brought home a Stan Lee Presents "Captain America" pocket sized when I was sick. Ol' Cap has been my favorite ever since. In the last 4 years or so I started actively buying old grab bags, etc again along with new titles. Have gotten some gems so I keep hunting, hoping my sons will cash in some day when print dies completely(?).

2-3000

Anything old and cool...anything new and cool. I like capes and war basically.

Hard to say. Lots of Marvel and DC both...

I became interested in comics due to my father showing me the Tim Burton Batman Movie (still love that movie), after that it was pretty much a plummet into the world of
comics. The first being a superman comic my dad bought me that I've since lost, but I've been buying comics for collecting purposes since my first job in high school (my
parents were not going to support my habit lol)

About 900

Batman, Iron fist, Luke cage, The Flash, Green Lantern, DC mostly

Batman

I look forward to posting on here.
manatree
Posted: Jul 6 2014 | IP Logged

As a kid, I was more of a reader than a collector. My brother and I borrowed and traded a lot growing up. Over the years
I've picked up the odd issue or trade paper here and there. Recently, I thought it would be fun to collect some of the
characters I enjoyed growing, especially "The Unknown Soldier," and various versions of Sherlock Holmes. I'm not that
hung up on the grade and value as my main goal is to read the stories again.

Less than 100

I've also been looking at subscribing to a title or two from my local shop. I'm liking some of the newer spy series like
"Velvet" and "Steed & Mrs. Peel." The "Krampus" series is a blast as well. Also ordered the first issue of "Sherlock Holmes:
Moriarty Lives" to see if I like that. I'd also like to work my way through "The Sandman" series.

"The Unknown Soldier"
Kersus
Posted: Jul 8 2014 | IP Logged

Reading my older brother's comics started the interest I think. Hard to remember that far back. Thor, Tarzan, etc.... Convenience stores and family trips that drove by a comic store...

Wow. No clue. How much does a long box hold? Maybe 20 or so long boxes. I really have no idea as they're in various storage places, and not organized.

Anything funny.

Up until 20 years ago, I'd say Spider-Man without a doubt, but it's possible that Hulk has topped that. I don't collect either anymore. Clone saga killed Spidey for me and the multiple Hulks killed that for me.
There are a lot of Indie comics in my collection as well as other obscure things. I even have a whole short box that's just the original Ultraverse titles.

I wonder if I answered this before?

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I've actually started and stopped several times. It started with Mystery Grab Bags, and cheesy Archie comics when I was seven. I didn't want them for any reason other to read them then, and was careless. Needless to say nothing survived those times. Even followed X-Men in to my early teens. Fast forward a bunch of time, and life, and I remembered "House of Secrets" being in one of those grab bags around the time I turned 19. I hunted down the whole series, and lost it in a messy divorce. Then here recently, hunted down and bought the whole series again- bagged, boarded and treated properly now, though I collect those for sentimental reasons. I was gifted a few issues of the new Harley Quinn 52. I'm now properly hooked on it and am rabidly hunting down the remainder of what I don't have. I also just got gifted a good chunk of Coffin Hill, and am liking what I'm reading. I'm a read it once, bag it and board it, put it away kind of collector. Unless my gut tells me it's gonna be worth a fortune- then I am a buy two copies, put one a way, read the other once and put it away collector. I will also be rabidly following the Deathstroke 52 when it releases.

Around 70, but I'm just getting started.

Ha, I guess I mostly answered this in my how did you start collecting paragraph, huh? But to reiterate and embellish, Harley Quinn 52, New Suicide Squad, House of Secrets (ala Veritgo), Sandman: Overture, some off the wall stuff- like Silent Hill, Hatter M, Alpha and Omega...... This list is only going to grow.

At the moment, that would be Rain, as I have the complete set of House of secrets. She's swiftly becoming rivaled by Harley Quinn. Who it's going to ultimately be remains to be seen.

Edited by Ashes - 21 July 2014 at 2:56am

superkheto
Posted: Aug 11 2014 | IP Logged

The first comic book that I read was Watchmen. Technically I didn't really read it, per se, because my English wasn't that good, but eventually got better.
I really started collecting when Superman died. From then on I started visiting comic book stores and the rest is history.

I have currently 1728 plus the ones that this website do not recognized.

Almost like everyone I like to collect DC and Marvel, but recently I have a huge attraction for Image and indie comics.

From DC: Batman
From Marvel: Avengers
From Image: Walking Dead
From Indie: Suicide Risk
irreverent_reader
Posted: Aug 13 2014 | IP Logged

Hi all!

I started collecting because I collect books, and that naturally translates into my current obsession: comics.
I just finished graduate school and had a stack of novels I had squirreled away for reading. However, I found my attention span had taken a beating after two full years of academia. What to do, what to do. Enter comics! They are absolutely perfect escapism and the perfect length for those with the attention span of a gnat. That being said, I have plowed through several full volumes to catch up (like many have mentioned, I too cannot just jump in at issue #47, no way).

Currently, I have about 80-100 in my collection. I am eager to add as I traverse the different genres!

I am not a huge superhero fan. Rather, I find it really daunting to tackle the multiverse of DC or Marvel (right now anyway). So for now, I am really digging the following:
Santiatrium
Sex Criminals
Rat Queens
Pretty Deadly
Clive Barker's Nightbreed
Punisher (all of them)
Incognito
Ms. Marvel
She-Hulk (Ms. Marvel & She-Hulk are my 'superhero' exceptions!)
Painkiller Jane
Red Sonja (by Gail Simone)
Stumptown
Stray Bullets Killers
Wicked + the Divine

Probably She-Hulk, but also Punisher

I found my way to this website because I use LibraryThing to organize my books. I thought about using it for my comics, but found this handy website instead. It is nice to meet you all and I look forward to perusing the forums and learning of other cool comics that I just can't live without.
Great Scott!
Posted: Sep 13 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I never filled one of these out

I've been a life long fan of all things Super Hero since my childhood in the 60's. I didn't really have an extensive collection then, I pretty much read my younger
brother's books (he had many reprints like Marvel Tales and World's Greatest Comics). After I left the military and moved to Oregon I started collecting again,
subscribing to ASM, Wolverine, Thor, and X-Men. I left the hobby again when I grew sick and tired of the "gimmick" era of the 90's. I again returned around
2009, but this time I had the income to finally collect the books from my childhood.

Somewhere between 3800-4000.

Silver Age and Bronze Age for the most part. Sometimes I'll buy something more recent if my Spidey Sense tingles, telling me that it will be a hot book. It's
served me well quite often. I also collect anything that my friend Mike Royer has worked on, getting him to sign each one. Almost 300 books in that particular
collection. Then there's my Surrounded Cover Theme Collection.

Easily Spider-Man, from his "Amazing, Spectacular", and "Web of" titles.

Edited by Just call me Scott - 13 September 2014 at 3:47pm

My Public Stash

I read The Walking Dead, loved it then branched out to other dark subject matter comics and spiraled from there.

760 +

Horror, Batman, Spawn, anything zombie, ghosts or really twisted.

Batman 1st TWD a close 2nd. (I know TWD is a little cli'che but I love the comic's story)

My younger brother had a lcs in the past and I get his cool leftovers. lol I also enjoy the thrill of a good flea market/yard sale find. I am a comic book addict.

Edited by JPizzle521 - 11 October 2014 at 11:34pm

sai_justin
Posted: Oct 17 2014 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I started collecting sometime around age 11 or 12 - can't quite remember what turned me on to it. I've always been an artist and at that age, used the early Jim Lee
Uncanny X-Men stuff as inspiration; I began tracing, moved on to copying, and honed my skills over the years. My mom used to take me every Wednesday to my local shop
(which has since burned down). I collected pretty hardcore until I was around age 21, then sort-of lost interest. But now, at 35, my interest has returned! And sadly, I now
have the income to support it, lol. I've been going a little bat-sh#t crazy the last year - it started with finding a couple websites (this one, for organization, and a couple
others for affordable back issues) and has become my new obsession. I started by plugging in missing issues from my old collection to complete story-lines I love, and now
I'm chasing first appearances of characters I love :D

I have about 4-5 long boxes full of books - 1350 or so. Not many compared to a lot of collectors, but they're precious to me.

I typically collect based on artist & story; I tend to chase certain story lines if I hear enough positive things. My mainstays are Star Wars, X-Men, and I love Dark Horse books
based on popular sci-fi (Aliens, Predator, Terminator, Robocop), although as a kid, I leaned more toward Spider-man & Superman. I followed all of my favorite artists when
they created Image comics in the 90s, although aside from a few titles, most early Image was mediocre. I definitely lean towards superhero books, though - I was raised in
the late 80s, early 90s era of big guns, big boobs, epic stories. But I'll stick with anything I find interesting, and I never wander far from whatever Alex Ross, Jim Lee, JR JR,
or Joe Mad is working on.

Most definitely Star Wars, X-Men, & Spider-Man! I nerd out hard on anything related to my big 3!

If anyone is interested, check out my Art page and toss me a "like"! There's bound to be some nerdy goodness in there for just about anyone!
www.facebook.com/JustinSpyresArt
wickedmountain
Posted: Jan 9 2015 | IP Logged

Hii I'm Fairly new to collecting happy to be here with you all :)

currently I have 22 comics in my collection but i have just started collecting recently.

love all comics I just collect what characters/ stories I like :)

Green Lantern at the moment :)
wootwootchow
Posted: Jan 14 2015 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I have been reading comics for almost 15(??) years but I've only recently started collecting about 2-3 years ago. I don't know how I started, I guessed it just
gradually progressed from something I have liked for most of my life to a more serious hobby. Unfortunately a lot of my comics from my childhood were just
absolutely destroyed because I had an inability to take of things when I was younger or thrown away when I went through my "I will destroy things that I love
so I will look cooler" phase so I'm also rebuilding that as well. *cringes*

300+

I collect appearances of Magneto since he is a character that I have loved since I was a little child and still do. Also, X-Men titles.

Magneto.
Tornado GeGe The Almighty
Posted: Feb 26 2015 | IP Logged

JasonNewcomb wrote

I figured it would be good to share our stories about collecting, especially for new folks to the forums, it would be a nice way to introduce your self.<span style="font-weight:
bold;">So how did you start collecting?</span><span style="font-weight: bold;">How many comics are in collection approximately?</span><span style="font-weight:
bold;">What do you like to collect?</span><span style="font-weight: bold;">Which title/character is most found in your collection?</span>

Well I haven't really started yet. Just have 3 that I got a couple of months ago.

Batman, Marvel, Flash.

X-men.
petey212
Posted: Mar 3 2015 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

heh, for me it was my old man and uncle. They were both comic book fans and got me into spiderman, xmen, superman and phantom. I started just buying odd comics every once in a while from the newsagencies when I could afford it but I grew up
in the country in western australia so there wasn't a lot of other options. I stopped collecting during my teen years and then got sucked back in when I started uni with deadpool

~1000, adding the collection to smc to find out how many

I like the what if stories a lot, I have the entire series of exiles bar one or two for that very reason. Anything with Deadpool, Amazing Spider-man (Pete fo life), Uncanny Xmen, Judge Dredd, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Adventure Time, Phantom
(AUS) and I've just started collecting Action Comics Superman. I've also got a few older comics in the collection like the first appearance of Paste Pot Pete, one of the Amalgam Comics and a signed copy of Superman: Red Son.

Character would have to be Peter Parker although I reckon Deadpool would be a close second to that followed more than likely by Wolverine.
Fusion4Future
Posted: Mar 23 2015 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

***So how did you start collecting?***

It all started with the QUANTUM LEAP comics from Innovation. I was collecting all the novelizations at the time, and then found out there were comics to go along
with the series. That led to all of the other terrific movie/TV tie-ins that Innovation did like LOST IN SPACE, ANNE RICE'S INTERVIEW WITH THE VAMPIRE and so
on. Eventually, I spread my wings and interest to other comics.

***How many comics are in collection approximately?***

A lot more than I thought. I'm nowhere near finished cataloguing my stuff here and I'm up to 667. I'm guessing I'll finish off around 1,000 by the time I'm done
getting everything checked in.

***What do you like to collect?***

I'm not much of a superhero reader (except for FANTASTIC FOUR). I'm really driven by interesting storylines. I read through Previews really, really closely and
anything that catches my eye that sounds like an interesting plot I'll go after. I see that I tend to have a lot of horror, paranormal and time travel stuff. And I'm a
sucker for a movie/TV tie-in.

***Which title/character is most found in your collection?***

There is a lot of FANTASTIC FOUR and SPIDER-MAN because I was really wrapped up in a lot of the plot lines with those for a while. These days it's mostly DOCTOR
WHO and zombies. Surprisingly, I don't have any interest in THE WALKING DEAD.
Redbrat
Posted: Apr 9 2015 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

"So, how did you start collecting?"

Honestly, my ex husband told me that I couldn't. ;) Seriously though, I've always been interested in comics ever since a
classmate introduced me to TMNT back in 8th grade. Plus the bands I listened to would reference comic book characters in
songs or their shirts/guitars/gear would have some form of superhero or TMNT and the like. Spider-Man was my hero
growing up but comics were never presented to me as something for girls so I never collected them despite watching
Uncanny X-Men every Saturday and being obsessed with the stories and characters.

It really wasn't until I was on a double date at a comic show when I found a comic that caught my attention. My initial plan
was to use it for reference with my art. I found a few more of that same title and was curious about the story and
character but didn't want to collect in case it would be more trouble than it was worth. I decided I was only going to collect
issues that had something striking I could use as a go to for inspiration, not knowing that almost every freaking cover was
insane. The next thing I know I'm only missing a few from the whole series.... I eventually gave in and have read the
trades and now I'm collecting so many other random titles.

"How many comics are in the collection approximately?"

I'm going to guess a bit over 500 but I didn't really start collecting until last year when I came across an issue of The
Darkness. I've been hooked ever since.

"What do you like to collect?"

Really anything with solid art cover to cover. I like finding covers that aren't your typical comic cover with the same poses
or themes. Top Cow/Image seem to dominate my collection. If I want to read I get the trades but I'll buy the individual
books for art.

"Which title/character is most found in your collection?"

The Darkness. Then perhaps Spawn, Ascension, & Dawn just to name a few.
Lockstrom
Posted: Apr 27 2015 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

When in 1999, i went to a comic book shop with 20$ and I bought a Deadpool #33 (Original sin) and a Wolverine Annual #2 while on a trip to the united states. Thats when I fell in
love with comic books. But I only recently started doing my own collection because my brother moved away and I can't read his anymore.

Right now, only a couble Omnibuses and this year's subscription to a few marvels.. but trust me, it will grow fast.

F**ked up mugs. Comic sets. Book holders with comic characters on them. Funny comic variants.

Deadpool
Wolverine
Venom
Batman
Joker
Punisher
Enigma
etc..

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

How did you start collecting?

As an adult in my mid 30's, I never pictured myself reading and enjoying comic books! I held the popular outsider view that comic books were only for kids and grown-up kids (a.k.a. looser). After suffering combat
injuries in Iraq my life has changed. I don't leave home and when I'm not sleeping and can control pain, I have a ton of free time. Reading novels (my favorite past time) used to get me by but it's now mentally much harder and I
don't stick with them for long. Anyway, my favorite adult cartoon happens to be Futurama! A few months back one of my friends dropped off a few copies of the Futurama series by Bongo to give me something to do. Next thing
you know I'm collecting Futurama and have realized that there are a lot of interesting comic books on the market. More importantly, I realized that enjoying them does not make me a looser! I've since fallen in love with comics
and have branched out to many other publishers and titles.

Comic Count- Just under: 100, and growing...

Comic books, a few graphic novels, a tad bit of artwork and accessories, and like Lockstrom mentioned before me, mugs (though I collected from my travels around the world, not "F**ked up ones" like Lockstrom). I'm a big fan of
comics that are historical and/or cover war time (especially WWI & WWII). I read and collect a lot of non-mainstream comics as I'm not a big fan of the Superman, Batman, etc.. type of superhero comics. *When it comes to 'Variant'
covers, I wish I could purchase many more but I just can't afford to. It's not that I think they are all going to be worth something someday (quite the opposite there), I buy comics for the enjoyment, not for the investment. It's because
so many of the variant covers have beautiful and unique artwork! That said I feel that there are more variants on the market than are needed! When multiple titles that I collect have 5 to 7 (or more), variants each and every issue, it's
starting to get a bit insane!! On a side note, once I discovered previews (I think that's the correct term) where I can order future comics several months in advance for literally half the price (or cheaper), I
was able to afford quite a few more variants!

I have a lot of Futurama comics so I would guess then that Fry is the most found character. Second would be Black Science.   *I've subscribed to all 10 new titles in the Double Take Universe and am loving all (minus sub-par artwork in
one of the titles) so I'm sure they will dominate my collection shortly...

Edited by strongma - 08 November 2015 at 4:27am

dsadventures
Posted: Nov 29 2015 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

+++ So how did you start collecting? +++

I started reading and collecting comics when I was about 6 years old (close to 50 now ). I can remember that I was home sick with the flu… My mother had
gone to the grocery store and had picked me up about 5 of my first comics just for the heck of it, they were Richie Rich and Archie comics. Not knowing what she
had done…she got me hooked on comics. So every time we went to the store I got to pick out a couple of comics and I didn’t even have to be sick ( ha ha ha ). I
collected and read comics up until I was 16 years old….. Yep….. Drivers License time. I had about 400 to 500 comics at the time and they just sat in boxes, so I
decided to sell them at a garage sale my parents had..( Dumb Move ). Now when married came along each time ( twice ) I thought… maybe I could start collecting
again… boy was I wrong, the wives would not let me spent the money on them, said they were for children each time. Well they are Ex- Wives…… Now I am with
someone who enjoys them too… I got her hooked. So now I have started back reading and collecting comics for the past 4 years and loving it.

+++ How many comics are in collection approximately? +++

Right now I have about 800 to 900 but not all of them have been entered in my stash on this awesome site.

+++ What do you like to collect? +++

I will collect anything I can get my hands on, but I prefer Silver and Copper age comics.

+++ Which title/character is most found in your collection? +++

Right now there is a mix, but once all is submitted in my stash, I would have to say Spider-man and the Avengers.
DS6220
Posted: Jan 13 2016 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Hi all! I am pretty excited to be here. Let's jump right to it, shall we?

So me, how did you start collecting comics?

Great question, me. I have been interested in comic books for as long as I can remember (I am 43 now). It was always the horror comics that I was most interested in, but being the son of a preacher man (Preacher!! Man! How much does that series
rock? So much!!) it was always a tricky sell to my parents. Oddly enough, it was always my mom that had problems with the Tales from the Crypt type book (or even GHOST RIDER!!) than my dad. I think he also really dug that genre, so he either
was against them too and let my mom be the bad guy, or......well, I guess it does not matter. I was always into the medium. Batman was probably my first super hero love (even though we all know he really is not a super hero, just a hero that is
pretty super). I started to actually collect when I was in high school, and even then it was more towards the tail end of my high school career. Mostly late 80's, early 90's is when I was most active. it was a slow process. Someone exposes me to Akira,
or Watchmen in between classes (and during classes, let's be honest) and they start to just sit with you. These wonderful stories and artwork. At some point during the 90s (probably 1995 or so) I slowed way down, and then stopped. Fast forward to a
few months ago when I (along with my family) moved to a new house and the idea struck that I didn't really have to keep my comics in storage. I could, like, read them. Display them. Love them. Caress them.....ok, maybe too far, but you get the
idea. This leads to realizing it is difficult to just have your comics out. This also leads to....hey, I really want more comics. So now I am slowly ramping up again.

Interesting. So how many comics would you say you currently have?

Well, I think I am in the 560 or so ball park. I am still trying to organize everything I have. I have also been kind of buying up these mystery packages from a local store. Basically a box of random comics. The cost is super low and it is a ton of fun. It
is the closest I can get to buying myself a present, and still not really know what it will be. A surprise for myself. I will know for sure once I am done adding everything to this site.

I know you mentioned horror comics, but what else do you like to collect?

Horror, right. Absolutely, but if you look at my collection, there is not as much evidence to that effect. I have always liked the odd or maybe not as well known stuff. The hidden gems (at least what I think are hidden gems. They may well be super
well known around these parts). My current patterns have been very mainstream, though. I have been much more of a Marvel fanboy lately and comics like Moon Knight (#5 when he wrecks house? Wow), Ms. Marvel (LOVE Kamala), Deadpool, Groot,
etc....have been much more on my radar. Oh, that new Spiderman/Deadpool comic is pretty great too (I like humor).

What title, or maybe, what character would be most found in your collection?

I think it would probably be Batman. I really do seem to have a lot of Batman. I could be wrong though. Once I am done updating my stash here, I will have a better picture of it, but, yeah. I have a lot (to me, anyway) of Ghost Rider and Spider-
Man, but I think overall, Batman has the most. I don't think it will stay that way forever, but for now? Yeah.
randyortan35
Posted: Jan 15 2016 | IP Logged

Hi i'm Randy and Belongs to US. Nice to Meet all of you.

Edited by randyortan35 - 15 January 2016 at 1:27am

Posted: Jan 23 2016 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Hi all. Just started using the site about a week ago and I'm hooked. I've been collecting since 1982, although my collection has been through many
incarnations in that time. I got into comics by buying at the local corner store, but then when i found a comic shop 15 miles away it changed
everything, and i started collecting. That store was Pegasus Books, which was owned by the Emberlin brothers. They later started Dark Horse
Comics, and the store is now Things From Another World. At 16 i started working in another local comic book shop, and spent the next 6 years
there, till i married, moved to another state, and opened my own comic book store. After 2 years, life and circumstance caused me to move back to
be closer to immediate family, so i sold my shop and came back to work at the store i had worked at before. At this point I've been out of the game
for about 10 years , but getting my collection out of storage, and going through it with the aid of stashmycomics has revitalized me and I've started
buying new books again .

As far as my current collection, it's over 5,000 books, of which i have cataloged 3,000+ on this site so far.

What i like to collect. ...good stories.. I like the gritty titles with some edge, but a good superhero story is great too love Neil Gaimen and own a lot
of his work. Neil Adams is probably one of my favorite artists. I feel in love with his work on Crisis on Infinite Earth's series, and I'll pick up most
anything i see that he has worked on. My collection though it's super varied. Look at my stash and you'll see what I'm talking about...

As far as what you'll find in my collection.... just about anything.

Next Post Reply