Forums » DC Universes » New Rorschach Mini Series?
CountingGardens
Posted: Aug 15 2012 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

So I pretty much had this one pegged from the day I heard about it. I was going to get this even before I knew who drew or wrote it. I grabbed it today, almost automatically, thumbed through, loved the art, amazing. But all of the sudden, there's curse words just rampaging out of Rorschach's mouth... He never went around cursing in the film or the novel... What...

They've ruined the character. Totally ruined.
ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Posted: Aug 15 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Seems a perfectly natural thing for that dude to do.

Brian Azzarello, is such a dark writer. 100 Bullets is probably one of my all time favorites. His Joker book is dark, what he is doing now on
Wonder Woman is really good. Comedian has been interesting too.
Plotkin35
Posted: Aug 16 2012 | IP Logged

I just finished reading it, and there are 3 F-bombs dropped (all by the police officers) and 3 sh*t bombs dropped (once by Rorschach) and if you count ass as a swear then that once. So 6 or 7 total swear words in the whole book. Re-read it, I bet you'll be surprised. HE actually has ver little
dialogue. MOre of a narration, with the occasional dialogue from Rorschach. I really enjoyed it, and seeing him get as beat up as he does. The art work was wonderful.
CountingGardens
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

But really, Rorschach doesn't swear. It's just not in the character to swear, period. He's pretty much just a moral justice guy. It's just like if you had Spider-Man swearing all over the place - simply out of character. Not that I even have anything against profanity, cause believe me, I do not, but the character is just not written well as he is.

Swearing does NOT make you dark. Nor does it make you menacing. He's menacing simply because he wears a mask, a trench coat, and is a hand to hand monster who just breaks your bones. That alone should do it for the character. He has his reputation to put fear into the criminals, he should NOT need to swear - because he doesn't in the original Watchmen comic nor the movie. I love the art though, and if it wasn't for the over the top out of character writing, I would pick this book up in a heart beat. But at 3.99 a book? It's just not something I'd care to own.
ulyssesjasonnewcomb
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Doesn't seem like a strectch that Rorschach would swear. He's kind of full of hatred for the world.

Groupie

My Public Stash

He is, but he doesn't really go about dealing with it that way. I dunno, I'm definitely not sold on this comic. I have to say its no surprise that the original author didn't want them to do anything more with Watchman. Just seems like a blatant cash-in. I mean, he's Rorschach not the guy from Sin City.
Plotkin35
Posted: Aug 17 2012 | IP Logged

LIke I said, they only swear out of his mouth in the first book is the word Sh*t. The cops are the one's dropping the F-bombs. I enjoyed the book, and will buy the remaining 3 as they come out. Again this is BEFORE they became The Watchmen, so maybe he "cools-off" as it gets closer to
forming The Watchmen.....
CountingGardens
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

Perhaps. He does constantly look back on his rookie days and mentally scold himself.
Valdimer
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
Public Relations/Coordination Manager

I'll be picking this up on Saturday. I've been more curious about this than any of the other "Before Watchmen" stuff.

Twitter: @TimMorse1
Email: timmorse@stashmycomics.com
Comicguy101
Posted: Aug 18 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Wish List

I read it, it was very well done. Yes the cursing was alot, but he is full of hatred. Thats why the watchmen got him, he doesn't feel remorse.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

As much as I wanted to love it as you guys are, I'm just going to have to pass. Here's hoping Dr. Manhattan isn't a stand-up comedian in his mini-series.
navik
Posted: Aug 19 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

** for the record, I guess this response has spoilers... though nothing is really spoiled per se, it just references a bit at the end **

Oh, was there cursing in it? 1) didn't stick out to me 2) in retrospect, I do not agree that somehow Rorschach would for some reason not swear.   
However, I did find him much wordier. His portrayal in Nite Owl is very well done. I like the man of few words, but that was less evident here
(the bit about hand to ass and shoving the hand up said ass).

What really bothered me was the lazy writing. That is: I don't buy the gang guys beating up Rorschach and letting him live. I mean, they did this big
setup so they could kick him a bunch and walk away? Sure, this gives Ror the line about "they should have killed me" at the end, but it fell short for
me.

But with all of that said, I did like the book quite a bit. I like the crossed-out typos. I love the art. And other than my gripe above, I did like the
writing.

Posted: Jun 21 2019 | IP Logged

With the all about the series of these one have to handle some of the really be newly have made this one. Rampaging from the new series are coming from the college-paper.org review website that looks like the new of the amazing thumbed through.