Forums » DC Universes » Storing Comics
NighTWinG7192
Posted: Sep 30 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a problem I seem to be having when it comes to comics storage. I love being able to get my comics out of my long box to read, but I can't seem to keep the bags closed. I keep the top folded over and tucked into the bag, but they refuse to stay closed. Our comic book store just tapes them closed but I don't like the idea of having to keep taping them shut every time that I want to read an issue. Any suggestions? Also, any suggestions for a way to store/ display my comics other than a longbox? They work, but I'm not a huge fan of them. They're bulky and its difficult to get in the bottom box when they're stacked. We live in an apartment, but we're planning on buying a house real soon so I'm open to any ideas?
danimalxiii
Posted: Sep 30 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Admin

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I know you said you don't like the idea of using tape, but if you use Magic Tape that works really well on comic bags, it's multi use so will reseal a bag no problem, also it doesn't strain the bag when
you try open/peel it off.

My Public Stash

In 30 year of collecting comics I've never really found a better way to close and seal my comic bags than just using two small pieces of tape. Some people like to fold the flap into the bag itself but I've always found that to be more trouble than it is worth and a lot of the time it just doesn't stay put anyway.
As for stacking long boxes there are several supply companies (BCW immediately comes to mind) that make pull out cardboard "file cabinet" boxes for comic long box storage. Easily stackable (You slide the long box into them without the top on it.) and you can just pull the box out to sort or access your comics without ever having to pick up a box and move it from on top.
chipreece
Posted: Oct 1 2012 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I have the stackable file comic boxes, amazing investment! Your back will thank you. They stack well in the bottom of a closet!

I also use tape, but if you have money to burn maybe you could rig something with Velcro?

Twitter: @ChipReece
Parallax2814
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

They make resealable bags. Those are awesome.

My Public Stash

I'm not a huge fan of the resealable bags. Mainly because they always seem to get stuck to my comics when I'm taking a comic out and especially when putting them in. With tape I can just take the old tape off the bag before I pull the comic out and then put new tape back on after the comic is in the bag. Many people seem to like the resealable bags. I'm not saying my way is better, I'm just giving my opinion.

Edited by jonervin26 - 01 October 2012 at 10:14am

Parallax2814
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Do you have the resealable ones with the tape on the flap, or the back? The flap ones suck, but the ones on the back should never be near the comic.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I also go for tapes that dont stick that much and are easy to remove. I bend the tapes so I dont have to peel them off the bag. Works fine.
jonervin26

My Public Stash

@Parralax, good point those would be pretty good.
LoopBasco
Posted: Oct 2 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Im having a problem in my long boxes it seems the corners of my comics are getting wear and I cant figure out how????
jonervin26
Posted: Oct 3 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

@loopbasco, are your comics bagged and boarded? The bags protect the comic in general and can help to keep things like vermin away and the boards help to protect spines and corners by giving rigidity and support. When you say "getting wear" what do you mean? Is there actual paper loss? Are there creases, bends, or edge blunting? Is it just from them being moved around a lot? It is hard to imagine wear without some form of a physical cause. An object at rest, tends to stay at rest. Wear and tear tends to happen to most anything due to outward action or motion.

Edited by jonervin26 - 03 October 2012 at 12:37pm

Panamon
Posted: Oct 5 2012 | IP Logged

I created a system using these: Boxes

for the series and issues I want better and easier access to. They fit on a standard shelf and can be carried about without breaking your back. I have 1793 comics in 17 boxes with
plenty of room left for hundreds more, on a four shelf system I got at Target or some place. Shelf=$40, 3 packs of boxes=$36.

Basically the comics are a little too tall for the lids so I cut them off and used them for dividers and then stacked the comics from side to side. Each box will hold about a 3/4
what a standard box will hold. I marked the "front" (side really) of the box with the company and series on an note card and slip it under the plastic that normally protects the
boxes from hanging folders. Now I can pull out smaller segments of my collection, sort as needed, and even have a decent display (you can see some of the front issues so it grabs
the
eye as people go by and creates conversation). If you can get to an Office Max, check them out and see if they'll work for you. I love 'em and they are cheap for the amount you get
($12 for 6 boxes is a good deal).

If I can I'll toss up a picture.

Edited by Panamon - 05 October 2012 at 5:15pm

Panamon
Posted: Oct 5 2012 | IP Logged

OK, here's the shots (Found my camera faster then I thought I would):

DemonoidTentacle
Posted: Oct 9 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I use an acid free Scotch tape, just one SMALL piece. I used to hate tape, but now I'm okay with it. My LCS doesn't stock resealable bags, so it's not a viable option for me unless I pay a
premium for me.

And just a quick question to people using longboxes. Do you store your comics back to back - cover to cover, or simply all facing the same way, and is there any reason not to do
either (bagged and boarded of course)?
Nuriel
Posted: Oct 10 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

If your comics are bagged and boarded, there is no reason to store them back to back. It only makes sense, when the comics are unbagged and the spines can bend and get
damaged by rubbing on each other's staples.

One more word on scotch tape - I used to use just one piece, but a few months later I noticed, that the flaps tend to bend upwards this way (see my awesome MS Paint drawing
for reference)

Now I use two pieces of tape, close to the sides. To open a bag, I just slip a finger under a flap, from the side and pull gently towards the center, and then up. Works like
a charm if the adhesive on your tape is not super strong.
audino79
Posted: Oct 12 2012 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

Tuck the flaps in between the comic and the board instead of behind the board. It'll stay closed and also make it easier to thumb through your longbox.
navik
Posted: Oct 26 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I use two pieces of scotch (Magic) tape. I think it's Magic. It's not acid-free. I use Mylites2 as the bags, with their half-
backs as backing boards. Two pieces of tape close to the edge of the flap. The tape is generally great, with most surfaces if it
sticks, it will easily peel off (including a comic - those rare scary moments). However the tape sticks way too well to Mylites2,
and I find the tape will more likely split than separate from the mylar.

Posted: Oct 27 2012 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I usually use one small piece of tape in the middle of the flap of the bag but, I recently bought these bags that are peel n' stick bags. They're a little more expensive but worth it!

Willy West
Posted: Jan 12 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I just use tape and when you take your comic out restick it then just stick it back on when you put it back in it should be sticky for a while if theirs no dust on the sleeve and personally ik it's it's not the best way to store comic but if
you protect them wel enough i like to put them in like a basket type thing there placed vertically and it's really cool to be able to see the covers. but if thats not what ur into just tape em it's really not any huge hassle!

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I got tired of sliding comics in or out and getting them stuck on tape so I stopped taping. I started tucking or folding the flap in and giving it a crease on top with my fingers.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I had the same corner-curling problem and started taping the corners on my books instead of the center. Instead of using 2 pieces of tape, I rip the one in half lengthwise
to get more mileage out of the roll. When I want to take the book out, I slide under the flap to open it and curl the tape into a loose loop on the flap so that it's out of the
way of the book. The magic tape works well for this because not only does it reseal multiple times without ripping the bag, it doesn't stretch when I tear the strip in half
like a lot of other tapes have. It means both pieces I get from the one length of tape actually seal flat to the bag instead of leaving a rough corner on each where the tear
began.

Great Scott!
Posted: Feb 1 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

I use Post-It tabs, they don't stick as harshly as tape.

My Public Stash

And if the flap curls up, I take a backing board and slip it down the back while it's in the box. It usually grabs the flap and unfolds
it.

My Public Stash

Nuriel wrote
If your comics are bagged and boarded, there is no reason to store them back to back. It only makes sense, when the
comics are unbagged and the spines can bend and get
damaged by rubbing on each other's staples.

One more word on scotch tape - I used to use just one piece, but a few months later I noticed, that the flaps tend to bend upwards
this way (see my awesome MS Paint drawing
for reference)

Now I use two pieces of tape, close to the sides. To open a bag, I just slip a finger under a flap, from the side and pull gently
towards the center, and then up. Works like
a charm if the adhesive on your tape is not super strong.

When I used to use tape I did it like this, except I angled the tape (if you look at this examples' position as a clock pointing at 6
and 12, I positioned my tape at 5 and 11). I also placed only 1/4 of the tape's length over the flap to adhere to the back. Less pull.
But As I said earlier, Post-it tabs are perfect

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Post-it tabs?are you talking about paper-weight ones, or the heavier ones that mimic binder dividers?
And hows the reseal on them? Do they work well for comics that are being taken in and out repeatedly?

Willy West
Posted: Feb 2 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

is their a type of storage thingy thats light putting it in a comic box but you can still see it or it kinda fits in to a room or looks nicish my mom wont let me have what she calls carboard boxes on my bookshelf
so im like well what the heck im i sposed to do anybody help!

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Google "drawer boxes". That might do the trick.

Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

If you get the time right, a lot of stores have colorful plastic crates they sell as dorm furniture, and you can probably find them in colors to fit your room.

Also, a lot of chain stores sell the cube shelves that you can buy colored bins to fit inside of. I don't know if it could be an option for you, but I use them in my house. Even
if new shelving is too much, the fabric bins are sold individually and come in a variety of colors. They're. Collapsable, too, so if you pick up more than you need, you know
you have matching bins when your collection grows, but they won't. Take up too much space in the mean time.

AeternaNox
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

K-mart has the fabric bins I just mentioned. there's a link to one if you want to see what I'm talking about. Target carries them too, but they cost a little more there. They're a little wider than you need for comics, but they look a lot nicer than a cardboard box, and you can fit about the same amount in each one as a short box. Standing upright, my bagged and boarded comics are level with the top of the bin.

al2mrt

My Public Stash

I'm a fan of resealable bags as long as the tape is on the back of the bag and not the flap, I switched LCS recently and my new place doesn't
carry them so I'll probably go to ebay and buy a box of them (I think you can get 1000 for around $30 give or take). I also live in an apartment
and I used to keep long boxes but they're just too damn heavy so now I have almost 1200 issues (and growing) in about 11 short boxes, its a lot
more work and seemingly more space is taken up but nowhere near the back ache. As far as damage within the boxes I suggest my method...I use
silver age bags and boards for all of my books, they are about 1/8-1/4 larger than modern age bags and boards, they leave plenty of room for the
books so they are easier to get in and take out of the bags also since the boards are bigger it gives a little more stability to all four corners
of your books. Hope that helps!