Forums » DC Universes » Storing Comics
mwshook
Posted: Feb 5 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I use Avery return-address labels, the seem to be just the right amount of stickiness and add a custom touch.

I often let my brother and co-worker borrow books. I also put this sticker on the inside covers of my graphic novels. I
like to think this increases the chance of me getting them back ;-)

One caveat: I've only been doing this for a year, so I'm not sure how the adhesive will hold up to time.

A few months ago, I had a post about storing
comics
in a plastic legal-size hanging file box. No that it's almost full, I
would say it's not ideal. It's constructed with a curved bottom that's bulging under the weight of the books. Because
it's for hanging files, I don't think it was designed to have weight on the bottom. I'll probably try something else when
this one fills up.

Edited by mwshook - 05 February 2013 at 11:35pm

My Public Stash

AeternaNox wrote
K-mart has the fabric bins I just mentioned.
there's a link to one if you want to see what I'm talking about. Target carries them too, but they cost a little more there. They're a little wider than you need for comics, but they look a lot nicer than a cardboard
box, and you can fit about the same amount in each one as a short box. Standing upright, my bagged and boarded comics are level with the top of the bin.

Thanks probs gonna pick these up!

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

I've been using a combination of short boxes, long boxes and Kassett magazine holders that you can get at Ikea.

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Willy West wrote
AeternaNox wrote
prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4">K-mart has the fabric bins I just mentioned.
there's a link to one if you want to see what I'm talking about. Target carries them too, but they cost a little more there. They're a little wider than you need for comics, but
they look a lot nicer than a cardboard
box, and you can fit about the same amount in each one as a short box. Standing upright, my bagged and boarded comics are level with the top of the bin.

Thanks probs gonna pick these up!

You're welcome. I have a handfull that I keep collapsed most of the time, to use when I need to reorganize my boxes or borrow/lend more than a couple books at a time.
You can use extra backing boards sideways as dividers, although they aren't. As easy to read as the upright tabs.

Great Scott!
Posted: Feb 12 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

AeternaNox wrote
Post-it tabs?are you talking about paper-weight ones, or the heavier ones that mimic binder dividers?
And hows the reseal on them? Do they work well for comics that are being taken in and out repeatedly?

JasonNewcomb wrote
Google "drawer boxes". That might do the trick.

Drawer Design Link

Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Awesome, DO, I ha e a bunch of those floating about and shall be test driving the idea after the next trip to the LCS.

Kersus
Posted: Jul 16 2013 | IP Logged

I found a normal cardboard box of comics that I had bagged and used corrugated cardboard for backing and probably gift wrap tape from the time-period (probably around 1990).
It had comics from the late 60s to the late 80s and it was stuffed with socks to keep the comics in place.

I learned to be better later in life with storing them. I don't think any of them are even direct editions - all convenience store comics.

Rebagging them now for storage in a long box.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

If anyone stores longboxes in some less than savory environments, you should check this Kickstarter out: Collection Armor

It's a bag that goes around your whole long/shortbox to protect from the elements. Smart for those keeping books in storage units and damp basements.

Twitter: @ChipReece
John Keyt
Posted: Jul 17 2013 | IP Logged

Hey Chip those are pretty neat for storage, totally space age looking . Be a wise investment when storing long term . I been thinking
about changing over to my lite bags , suppose to last ten years . Some of my regular bags are starting to wrinkle after a few years .
They also don't seem as clear as a my lite bag . Started to use them on display issues . Also I have gone away from taping flaps
cause after a few years comics bags seem to stick together from the glue . I just fold the flap into itself behind the board . Is this
a good idea or should they taped to seal better ?
navik
Posted: Jul 21 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

John, taping it will be better for sealing out the air.   In regard to mylites, according to eGerber they don't ever need to be
replaced. My collection is so huge, I've been moving a fair portion over to mylites (well did that a year ago). I really don't
want to go through that cost every 10 years (or ever again!) I put all new comics in mylites as well. You're right as far as
how transparent they are, it's day and night compared to other bags - although in terms of protection that's just a nicety.

Posted: Jul 21 2013 | IP Logged

Thanks NAVIK Think that's what I am going to do . Slowly change over to mylites and start taping closed . Later John out .
jonervin26
Posted: Jul 22 2013 | IP Logged

My Public Stash

Mylar bags (Mylites and other brands) are made out of polyester and are 100% archive safe, and will never need to be replaced over your entire lifetime. They are much more beautiful than Poly bags, and will protect your collection for your entire lifetime. They are significantly more expensive but I think they are worth the investment, especially for valuable investment type books.
I put all of my "top" investment worthy books into Mylar bags. The rest of my collection I put in polyPROpylene bags. NOT polyETHylene bags, as these actually break down and seep chemicals and will damage your comics after as few as only a handful of years. The polypropylene bags are inert, and are archive safe for many many years. They DO NOT break down into their base chemicals over time. They are not as pretty as other bags and will get foggy looking after only a few years, and even begin to yellow over the span of many years so they aren't the nicest looking bags for long term storage, but they won't seep and damage your comics either so prettiness aside they are a good inexpensive solution. Mylar is way stronger, stays crystal clear forever, and will never damage your comics. It is the best long term storage solution for comics. Also if you are using backing boards, always make sure you use 100% PH buffered, completely acid free archival boards no matter what kind of bags you are using. (E.Gerber Full-Backs and Half-Backs are a good example, but there are many others available too.)
Lastly, when it comes to tape I've read where many people have said that you should only use acid free tape (there are several of them on the market like Scotch acid free scrap booking/photo tape) but really I've found that good ole' Scotch Magic tape works as well as anything else. And really the tape being acid free is kid of irrelevant at least to me simply because your comics should never come into contact with it at all anyway. It is always on the outside and is separated away from the comics by the bags and boards. I've been collecting for a long time and I've never seen a comic get damaged in storage by tape. I've seen tape get old, yellowed, and in need of replacement but I've never seen where it leeched through the containment supplies and "hurt" a comic.

Edited by jonervin26 - 23 July 2013 at 3:58pm

JustinLanza
Posted: Aug 29 2018 | IP Logged

I was thinking about whether anybody could enable me to out with an issue I am by all accounts having with regards to funnies stockpiling. I adore having the capacity to get
my funnies out of my long box to peruse, yet I can't keep the sacks shut. I keep the best collapsed over and tucked into the sack, yet they decline to remain shut. Our comic
book shop just tapes them shut however I don't care for keeping taping them close every time that I need to peruse an issue. Any proposals? Additionally, any
recommendations for an approach to store/show my funnies other than a longbox?
rhodes
Posted: Sep 15 2018 | IP Logged

jonervin26 wrote
In 30 year of collecting comics I've never really found a better way to close and seal my comic bags than just using two small pieces of tape. Some people
like to fold the flap into the bag itself but I've always found that to be more trouble than it is worth and a lot of the time it just doesn't stay put anyway.
As for stacking long boxes there are several supply companies (BCW immediately comes to mind) that make pull out cardboard "file cabinet" boxes for comic long box storage.
Easily stackable (You slide the long box into them without the top on it.) and you can just pull the box out to sort or access your comics without ever having to pick up a box and
move it from on top.

i agree with jonervin26 thanks...
Jackarce
Posted: Sep 17 2018 | IP Logged

John Keyt wrote
Hey Chip those are pretty neat for storage, totally space age looking . Be a wise investment when storing long term . I been thinking
about changing over to my lite bags , suppose to last ten years . sizegenetics Some of my regular bags are starting to wrinkle after a few years .
They also don't seem as clear as a my lite bag . Started to use them on display issues . Also I have gone away from taping flaps
cause after a few years comics bags seem to stick together from the glue . I just fold the flap into itself behind the board . Is this
a good idea or should they taped to seal better ?
Prev
Page of 2