Forums » Wish List » ’Purchased From’ info tied to each comic
iancharcoal
Posted: Apr 16 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

So for each comic in your stash you can add information about where you got it from, for example:

Comics Unlimited
    MidTown Comics
    Chicago Comicon 2013
    Ebay.com
    Subscription
    Gift
    Private owner

I think people would be interested in seeing stats of where their books are coming from. I know I'd like to see my own subscription-to-LCS ratio. Might be
potentially good for buyers and sellers, as it could provide some history as to where the books came from.

There's always potential substitutes that are available, such as the tag manager and the notes section, but I think a separate section for this sort of thing could help
provide extra value if we add a few more bells and whistles.

For example, you put an issue into your public stash, people could see that you got the book from 'Dave's Local Comic Shop'. That location could be linked to that store's
website (which ties into Chipreece's local comic store links idea - Free publicity for the
LCS's
.)
chipreece
Posted: Apr 16 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group
SMC Blog Editor

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Cool idea!

I'd like to add in crowdfunding sites as well. If you got it from Kickstarter, Indiegogo, etc.

Twitter: @ChipReece
nisav
Posted: Apr 17 2013 | IP Logged
Admin Group
Admin Group

cant tags be used to track this? just wondering what the benefit of creating a specific field is.

DevilSoprano
Posted: May 5 2013 | IP Logged
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

My Public Stash
My Public Wish List

Might be something you can bring to the store as site owner and find a way to benefit one another. If Midtown sees that
there are a lot of people buying comics from them and using this site as a database maybe they promote the site in their
store?

Admin Group

i get what you are saying, but again why cant tags be used? everyone tags their comics with where they got them from and
from anywhere on the site they can be pulled up using the tags, can see how many people tagged them and how many comics.

to me it seems that tags are like a universal tool that can be used for many of these tracking items.

iancharcoal
Posted: May 13 2013 | IP Logged
Groupie
Groupie

My Public Stash

I agree that the basic mechanics of tags is a good way to assign this information to comics. Revisiting this idea with that in mind, I think users would be up for a more standardized application of these
tags. Perhaps 'Purchased/Received from' could be an official subset of tags.

So theoretically:

1. Select tag next to comic. Tag Manager popup appears.

*New Functionality*
2. Select 'Purchased/Received from' subtag. Textbox appears.
3. Type in name of comic store the book was purchased from. Site guesses the store, similar to the comic-title guessing in the Advanced Search. There would be an option to add a new store if it's not on the
site already, where you can provide the address/phone/website of the store as well.
4. Save tag

This could help keep 'Purchased/Received from' location tags organized and standardized for everyone, so there are less custom tags being thrown around (Midtown Comics, MID-Town Comics, MidTownComics NY)
that don't contribute to a more interesting statistic.